Author Topic: Hive sizes  (Read 10413 times)

Offline Marty68

Hive sizes
« on: January 09, 2014, 04:50:48 pm »
What should be the max boxes I should have on a hive for them to make it thru winter but being built up at the same time. Ty marty

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Hive sizes
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 04:56:42 pm »
Vancouver, Washington is not dissimilar to Vancouver, Canada weather (I lived there). Two deeps is plenty, 1 for your brood and cluster, and 1 full of winter stores.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:09:31 pm »
Perry gave you the minimum.You asked for the max. The max is to the top of your tallest step ladder, unless you have scaffolding. That is, if you can get them built up that far.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marty68

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:24:02 pm »
Ok perry would that just be for wintering. What is ideal for spring and to stop a swarm from happening

Offline Marty68

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 05:26:19 pm »
Iddee is that a good thing to have them that high. Are they able to maintain that year round or in winter time split them up into smaller hives

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »
For your area Marty, two deeps for brood should suffice, and as far as honey production, again in your area I would probably have 3 honey supers ready.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Marty68

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 05:44:27 pm »
Supers or mediums.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2014, 07:57:49 pm »
Mediums are what I would use.
The word "supers" usually refers to whatever you are using to collect honey. (At least that is how I think of things)  ;D
You can have a deep super, medium super or even shallow supers, it all depends on your preference.
Brood is usually referred to as being raised in "chambers". (Just my take)
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2014, 08:49:29 pm »
I don't think stacking them that high is good, but some beeks do it, so it is possible. I use one deep and one medium for honey collecting hives, and two deeps for bee raising hives. Then I add the honey supers to the honey collecting hives, and rob each when full, so never more than 2 or 3 on the hive at any one time. Some beeks rob once per season, so stack how ever many are needed to get through the flow.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Marty68

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 10:06:44 pm »
Ty all for the insights on this topic. Learned some new stuff. Gonna give it a try

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 01:01:21 pm »
A queen will max out her laying at about 13 to 16 deep frames and by the time you get pollen and honey in the outside frames 2 deep supers will provide all the space the queen needs for brood rearing. By keeping bees in a deep and medium as Iddee does the bees are forced up into the honey supers sooner as the hive population grows and will start putting honey in the honey supers sooner. You have to watch that they don't start plugging the brood chambers to early when the space should be used for brood, not storing nectar.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »
marty, like perry said 2 deeps for you, you should be good to go.  i use 2 deeps, and then in the spring/summer, i stack the medium honey supers as they are needed, and leave them on until i harvest.  i only harvest once a season.  with the exception of comb honey frames, those come out as soon as they are capped.  also, have extra supers on hand, it doesn't hurt. so perry recommended 3, have 5 on hand.

if you think your bees need more going into winter, leave a super on for them.  hope this helps!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor