Author Topic: Nuc shims & display shelves  (Read 3491 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Nuc shims & display shelves
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:39:04 pm »
I am going to try overwintering 5 - 5 over 5 nucs. These are in the D. Coates style nuc boxes, which are great, but, you can't really shove them together because the lids are too wide.

I wanted to add some insurance feed to these in the form of fondant, so I built 5 feeder shims and narrower lids. I'll put fondant in each rim over the hole, put the lid on and them surround the whole lot with styrofoam except for the fronts facing south, they'll just have tarpaper for the solar gain.

I then decided that I needed to do something about my farm market display. It seemed to be one dimensional, that is, all one level. I was also having a hard time showing off the taller candles as I had to lay them on the table which took up a lot of space.
I cobbled these up. I hope the rustic look is in! :laugh:

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Nuc shims & display shelves
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:59:52 pm »
Lookin good Perry!  Like the inner covers for the nucs.. still have a few to get built.
   Good idea on the corner style shelves too!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 10:52:24 pm »
ditto what scott said perry on the rims/lids for the nucs!  for the few i have, i have done the same. 

rustic is in perry, folks are not going to be looking at your shelves, just your goods on them!...... :yes:
and if they do, too a/r...... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 07:59:41 am »
Pretty sad that I was thinking about this last night as I was going to sleep..    I use migratory style covers for the nucs over the top of those shims so I can slide them together..   For the 4 frame double nucs I cut out pieces of plywood to put over the tops so the foam board would sit against the wood, then the tele cover goes on top of that.
   Hard to tell in the picture.. the two ends are 4 frame double nucs, Michael Palmer style. The other two are 5 frame nucs with custom bottom boards..    I have two standard 5 frame nucs to get moved to the empty spot and wrapped yet..  weather and time are not cooperating..

As of this moment, Snow has built up over the front of all hives.. those with no upper entrance have no means of exit or ventilation..   SUpposed to be 42 (ish) next week, I will have to clear the entrances of at least those hives before then..
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*