Author Topic: What would ideal Winter temperatures be?  (Read 12302 times)

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
What would ideal Winter temperatures be?
« on: January 19, 2014, 10:42:57 am »
If we could put a programmable thermostat on Mother Nature, what would be the ideal, or optimal, settings for over wintering bees?  I presume that there would be two settings - the first for the majority of the time that keeps the bees at the lowest activity level that does not threaten freezing and, the second, being a warmer regime periodically to permit safe cleansing flights.

It may be that my question would be better phrased to what would be the optimal hive temperature (outside of the cluster) that leads to minimal but sufficient activity and what outdoor temperature provides for safe cleansing flights?
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: What would ideal Winter temperatures be?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 11:15:44 am »
I have been told that they begin to break cluster at 6.1 C., "43 F." and start to fly. They are in partial cluster until 12.8 C., "55 F.", and go into full work mode.
You can make your guesses from there.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 11:32:47 am »
At about -5 to -8 degrees celcius is the temperature when the hive consumes the least amount of stores. 
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 11:51:36 am »
Ideal winter temps to over winter hives. I would set thermostat at 75-80 degrees and hope for blooming plants ;D
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline pistolpete

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:12:08 pm »
I went back to my reference book.  Apparently my earlier statement was wrong.  Bees are most efficient at using their stores at 7 C. (45F).   However a colony will use less stores at -9C  (15F) than at -2C (28F).    The conclusion I'd draw from this is that ideal winter temperatures would be 6 to 7 degrees, with the occasional rise to 10.    But if you have to have freezing temperatures, then -8 to -10 would be better than around 0.
My advice: worth price charged :)

Offline DMLinton

• Member, Tundra Division
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 12:51:06 pm »
Thanks, pistolpete.  From reading, I was coming to the conclusion that ideal ambient hive temperatures would be around 4C or a little above with occasional excursions above 9 or 10C for cleansing flights.

The 4C to 7C I can do.  The 10C for cleansing flights will be challenging although, looking back over weather records for this Winter as an example, there would have been at least one suitable day both in this month and in last month.
Regards, Dennis
First bees installed July 1, 2014..

Ray

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 06:06:38 pm »
per Dadants  Hive and the Honey Bee
 The optimum INDOOR overwintering temp is 39 degrees F

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 01:27:02 am »
I would think the best winter temperature would be right around 35 degrees cold enough to keep them in cluster without starting any serious brood rearing but not so cold that they can't leave the clusters to get to honey stores

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »
i thought i would share this article with everyone.  i had the pleasure of meeting this beekeeper a few years ago. growing up and to this day, you can spot his hives all up and down the yellowstone river, and beyond, in park county, montana, and even better when your drifting the river fishing...
harvey kindall is a 4th generation beekeeper and at 70 years old, is running about 2400-2500 hives pretty much by himself.  the interesting part of this article is on the last page.  he built a warehouse to house up to 3000 hives, and that's where he over winters his hives and keeps it at a constant temperature of 41 degrees farenheit.    very innovative and very incredible!
this document was uploaded to google drive, just click on the link to view it.  if you want to download the article, you will see 'file' in the upper left hand corner, and then click on that, it will show a 'download' or 'print' option to save to your pc or print.  enjoy, it's a great article!

Harvey Kindall~Livingston Montana Beekeeper
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Marbees

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 09:37:25 pm »
 :nice: DML, thanks for starting

Have seen cleansing flights at 6C, no wind
Great link riverbee, thanks 8)
Bee Remarkable

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:31 pm »
Thanks River
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.