Author Topic: DIY 8 Frame Coates Style Nuc Plans  (Read 18345 times)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
DIY 8 Frame Coates Style Nuc Plans
« on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:37 pm »
G3 and I thought an 8-frame Coates Style nuc box would be better for some swarm catches and swarm traps.  After speaking with Robo and DLMKA, who both collaborated on putting something together on a previous occasion, came up with this link from Robo:

http://hoibees.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Coates8FrameMediumNucPlans.pdf

Thanks DLMKA, Robo and Mr. Coates!

Offline DLMKA

Re: DIY 8 Frame Coates Style Nuc Plans
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 10:03:24 pm »
These are pretty handy boxes, I have 10 of the mediums that I stack up (upper story was trimmed down for bee space) for wintering. The other two got torched after coming back from a trap-out with a SHB infestation.  Internal volume is just a little more than a 5-frame deep but there aren't many good options for medium nucs out there.

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 10:13:43 pm »
These are mediums, was looking for deeps myself.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline DLMKA

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 10:16:52 pm »
I'm not sure you can get 4, 8-frame deeps out of a sheet of plywood. Robo has the cut sheet software, It wouldn't be hard to combine the two sets of plans together and get dimensions for an 8-frame deep.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:49:08 pm »

I like 3/4 boards for the sides because it gives me something to screw the top to without splitting the plywood, They feel stronger, warp less and last longer.
   One 12 foot 1 x 8 will make two boxes with enough for another end left over. One sheet of plywood makes 14 top/bottoms if you cut square. So even with boards, the cost of making one is $7.50 not counting glue, screws etc.   I feel that the boards will hold up longer than the plywood sides.
   so about $2.50 each more expensive (if using 1/2 inch plywood) less cutting, less handling of 4x8 sheets..
   Not arguing against using plywood, just pointing out what I liked better after trying both.  Plywood Nuc's and I have not had a fabulous relationship.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 07:57:11 pm »
Good point Lazy.  Before I re-invent the wheel, did you just increase your measurements by 1/4" all around?  Am I thinking right? 

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 11:58:19 pm »
Yes more or less Blue..  if your using 3/8 ply you have to increase by another 3/8 etc..  Just keep in mind the inside dimensions have to remain the same.  I often come across 1" thick boards..    Did you know that a 1 x 8 used to actually BE 1 inch by 8 inches??   Now, who would have thought up such a silly thing!!??     :P

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 08:18:57 am »
Right on.  Well, I am heading out to the Home Depot today (playground for men) and pick up some lumber for making some stuff today.  I would have started making sawdust a couple weeks ago but the weather has not been nice.  I am tempted to try a few solid nucs.  The plywood nucs work out great as for price but the wood does warp.  I only notice it on the lids thought.  I put a thin layer of glue on the edges before I paint them to help water proof them a little.  I have considered making the lids entirely or partially out of solid wood to help.  If I leave a 1/8" gap on the two cleats that are glued on either side of the bottom of the lid, it does account from some of the changes in the wood.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 08:41:50 am »

Bought wood for two orders yesterday at Menards.  Just under 16 bucks for 1/2 plywood and just under 6 bucks for 12' 1 x 8 boards.   At those prices it doesn't pay me to go disassemble an old shed or barn for the boards.
   Local lumberyard charges 26 a sheet for the plywood and 14 for the 1x8's  I WANT to buy my wood from them, and usually do if I need one sheet of plywood or a couple of boards.. but when I have to buy a couple hundred dollars worth of wood its just too much..   Catch 22 going on.. I hate the big chain stores, but the local stores can't compete on purchasing power..    Needs to be a law that a licensed business can BUY for the same price no matter the volume..    THEN you would see small town America revived as never before.

uhh, OK, back top my coffee....

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 09:03:34 am »
Lazy for President!  8)

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 10:56:22 pm »
Lazy, how are you making those nuc boxes out of 8" lumer?  I messed around this afternoon making a nuc out of 3/4 wood and discovered a 12" would be necessary.  Unless, you laminate like I did with scrap lumber using my Kreg jig.  Here is a link showing my work at reply #19: http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,599.15.html

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:24 pm »
Just replied to your post. I use all Mediums Blue, so my Nuc's are mediums as well. 6 5/8 instead of 9 5/8

*Sponsor*

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:11 pm »
Blue.. NUC"S!!!!

Old Nuc's new Nucs, fixed nuc's and repainted nuc's!  about ten more to build, then to see if I can fill half of them before the end of July!

I have to remember that everyone doesn't use all medium boxes...  Still not sure how you hold a plywood corner together and keep it together. Lots of glue?

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 11:07:05 pm »
Those nucs look great Lazy! I use a continuous bead of Titebond II and 1" narrow crown staples.  If I see light coming through, I put another staple down.  If I still see light, I leave it for the bees to shore up.  Although, I usually don't have that problem.

Also, I skipped the 3/8" rectangular entrance on this last batch.  I planned on using one hole like you did.  After seeing how easy a mouse can crawl through a hole, I am gun shy about making it too big.  What size hole did you drill?  I was thinking no larger than 3/4" but that still seem bigger than needed.  I suppose they need enough room as if they were to exit carrying a dead drone.  At least, that is what Iddee told me once.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 11:18:24 pm »
I believe they are 1 inch holes in the older swarm trap Nuc's, the newer ones have an entrance of about  1'2 inch by 1.5 inches.. eyeballed on the width, with a brad driven up through the center.

My nuc's have the standard 3/4 by 7.5 inch entrances.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:20:59 pm by LazyBkpr »

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:24:56 pm »
Well, I had my mind set on holes and skipped the rectangular entrance like I always do.  I just couldn't bring myself to use the table saw one more time that day.  :'(  I think I will drill a few 5/8" holes.  Thanks for the quick reply though..

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 01:43:07 am »
No worries about reducers that way.   ;D

*Sponsor*

Offline tefer2

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:12 pm »
Lazy, we also have most of our queen operation on medium frame equipment.
We make our medium nuc boxes so they end up being 7 1/2 deep.
Found that swarm cells on the bottom of a frame doesn't fit a 6 5/8 box. (smashed)
Maybe your just setting them on a regular 3/4 bottom board?
But if attaching a bottom directly to it, they need to be deeper for that reason.
I rip down 1x10s and use the scrap for a feeder shim.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2015, 02:06:13 pm »
Yes Tefer, I use a 3/4 inch space bottom board for the nucs..
   Have an order for coats nucs (deeps) so built one to test the water before I committed..
   if I could get the plywood already cut to 20" widths I dont think it would be any issue at all to build these things..  handling a 4x8 sheet is a royal PAIN even with the RAS..
   I built a few with plywood sides earlier, but used boards for the ends and the frame rests..  Didnt like those much, dont think they will last, and now that I have built a plywood nuc, I am sure I dont like them, at least for what I would do with a nuc..  If these are used for selling as a nuc with bees, I think they might just work very nicely.. cost is just over 5 dollars without paint. If used to do splits and transport bees I think they would also work very well, they just wouldnt work to maintain and keep bees in over winter etc...

*Sponsor*

Offline tefer2

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »
Anytime your ripping 4x8 sheets, it's just easier to have a helper on the other side.
I can't count the number of times I've screwed up a sheet trying to handle it by myself.
Plus, it's always nice to have someone else to blame when it's cut wrong!  ;D
Remember, it's always the holders fault.