Author Topic: Mosquitoe spray  (Read 2326 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Mosquitoe spray
« on: October 06, 2018, 02:16:34 pm »
After hurricane Flo. Here in n.c. their going to start aerial spraying of naled. That's what killed hundreds of hives in s.c. few yrs. back when spraying for zika virus.  It's toxic for all pollinators. Mosquitoes are bad,  but i used to live in Louisiana.  There's all kinds of repellents that people can use. Now i have to call cooperative extension on Monday to find out (where and when) they say you can cover hives with blankets or bed sheets at night. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Offline MurphyMike

Re: Mosquitoe spray
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 06:16:41 pm »
Dang.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 06:30:01 pm »
Mikey, I think you have mentioned outyards, can you move the bees until they are finished spraying?
Lee_Burough

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 07:57:45 pm »
Lee,
They are spraying the hole county. That's why i need to contact them.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 09:37:16 pm »
I don't have any experience, thank goodness.  I have heard others talk about crop dusters and pesticide drift.  For crop dusting, they try to move them.  If they can't I know a beekeeper that used wet sheets to keep them in until the pesticide dried.  I think I would try to put some sugar water on top if I did that.  You  might run the risk of over heating them, but keeping the sheet wet with a lawn sprinkler or watering can might help.
Good luck, Mikey.  Fingers crossed for you.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 02:44:33 pm »
I've got top feeders on them.  My concern is,  i have 1 medium of capped honey on each box for winter.  Are forage bees going to bring back naled from water source into hive ? Poisoning the over winter honey? And hive?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 03:36:34 pm »
Can you pull those boxes for a while?  Put them in a freezer and put back on when things are better?  It's hard to break bees of getting their water from one source when you would prefer a different source. 

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 03:51:01 pm »
find out when they plan to spray, protecting bees at night is different from when spraying is done during the daytime. At night it is drift from spray during the daytime it is bees foraging for water and also bringing back contaminated nectar as well as spray drift. Also ask how long it stays toxic for or the 1/2 life of the product, and also the saturation rate (how much water, rain, watering needs to be done to dilute it to a bee safe level.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 05:07:34 pm »
Apis, i want so bad to understand what to do.  I have a feral hive 2 yrs. old .  just kind of worried.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 05:49:59 pm »
find out when they plan to spray in your areas and screen them in. it is most likely cool enough that they will not over heat. I have left hives in orchards when they are spraying. Cover the hives with a white sheet, Place a sprinkler on them. the bees stay in the hive as they think it is raining. any drifting spray is washed out of the air and is diluted. keep the hives covered with the sprinkler till the spray mist has dried and then it is no longer attractive to the bees as a water source.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Lburou, Mikey N.C.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2018, 12:11:41 pm »
Great information Keith, thanks!   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2018, 04:46:16 pm »
Thanks,  talked to co-op extension person this morning they said epa says its safe , when i said what about in s.c. Last yr. Spraying for zika virus and killed thousands of hives . she said she hadn't heard of that . i said google it. Then i told her epa said roundup was safe. She did say that naled chem. is supposed to be photo denigrating, ( think thats what she said) and after 1 hr. of sunlight and its gone. Lets hope so.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 07:35:35 pm »
They were supposed to spray your county last night. You could have signed up your hives and still can with drift watch, bee check. Our county is going to give out the mosquito donuts and let everyone kill the larvae.
Glad we have a choice. The local bee clubs are on top of this. Get with them for the latest info. Hope your bees are ok.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2018, 01:09:51 pm »
Yes i gave them my address and that was supposed to sent to mapping. I put bed sheets over them and sprinkler . had to go out of town yesterday, had wifey take off at 9:00 am When i got home yesterday afternoon it was raining had to go out and strap down hives for Michael,  good grief. Have gotten about about 5" of rain today sofar and expecting more.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2018, 01:14:13 pm »
If these hives make it till next yr. and i make queens , I'm going to call'em Hurricane Bees   ;D

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2018, 01:15:32 pm »
Or Flo-Mikey bees :D

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 04:48:10 pm »
Apisb,
The co-op extension agent for harnett co. N.C. told me, thank you for advice using sheets and sprinklers . i told her i got info from WWB and asked her to join. So thanks alot for your experience.  Made me look good  8).  They are reevaluating mos. Population. So might not have to spray

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 09:47:04 pm »
"If these hives make it till next yr. and i make queens , I'm going to call'em Hurricane Bees   ;D"

"Or Flo-Mikey bees :D"

.............. :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2018, 12:18:23 am »
I think I posted this on here somewhere before.  This is an idea created by an Elementary School's Lego's Robotics Team.

I'll send you the PDF via pm:

Instructions: How to make the Beekeeper 20,000
The Beekeeper 20,000 is a tent system invented by the Blue Rays FIRST Lego robotics team to protect beehives from the aerial spraying of pesticides. On nights that aerial pesticide spraying will occur, place the pop-up, lightweight, easy to use Beekeeper 20,000 over the hive. Use the mister (attached to any garden hose) to call the bees inside and help ensure the temperature stays sufficiently cool. Zip the tent closed until spraying is complete. Once spraying is over, unzip the tent to allow the bees to exit. Remove the tent from the hive as soon as possible once spraying has occurred. Leave the tent outside for an additional few days to allow any further residue from the pesticide to break down and evaporate.
The Beekeeper 20,000 is made from two parts that are readily available on Amazon.com
 Gigatent Pop-up Pod Changing Room (Price ranges from $24.50 to $29.00)
 MistyMate 15006 Keepin’ Cool Portable Misting kit (Price ranges from $9.90 to $12)
Easy to use and lightweight pop-up tent. Stakes secure it to the ground.
The mister enters from bottom of the tent and is clipped inside the tent, along the sides. It sprays mist at the top center of the tent, over the bee box.
Beekeeper 20,000
The Pop-up tent comes collapsed and in a bag. Remove the tent from the bag and fully open the tent. The tent comes with stakes that can be used to secure it to the ground.
Remove the MisyMate from the box. Only one of the misting nozzles is needed to mist the bees. The other five misting valves should be plugged. You can use the plastic bag that the MistyMate is packaged in to accomplish this. Simply cut five 1”x1” squares from the plastic bag. Before screwing in the gray misting nozzle into the beige misting hose, place one of the square plastic pieces over the hole where the gray nozzle is screwed in. Then screw the gray nozzle and plastic square into the hole.
Be sure to leave the last nozzle at the far end of the MistyMate open (do not plug with plastic).
Next test the mister by hooking it up to a garden hose and turning it on. Water mist should come out of the one open nozzle; mist should not spray from the holes you have plugged.
Attach the MistyMate to the inside of the tent using the clips provided by MistyMate. Clip the one open nozzle to the top center of the tent using the clips.
Be sure to enter the tent, with the hose, from the bottom (underneath) and not through the doorway. The remaining excess hose can then be clipped to the side of the tent all the way to the bottom where it enters the tent.
The hose must enter from the bottom to ensure that no pesticide can enter the tent and mix with the mist.
To protect your bee box from mosquito spraying, lift the tent with the MistyMate attached over the bee box. Unzip the doorway and roll it up. Secure it in the up position with the fasteners on the inside of the Gigatent. You can secure the tent to the ground using the stakes and string provided by Gigatent, by following their directions. Turn on the water mist and the bees should respond appropriately.
At dusk and before Mosquito spraying occurs, unfasten the door flap, roll it down, and zip the bees inside. Keep the mister on until you are ready to remove the tent to prevent bees form overheating. The tent should be removed as soon after mosquito spraying has occurred as possible. If possible leave the empty tent outside for several days to ensure all of the pesticide has broken down and evaporated.
Questions? Email the Blue Rays at BlueraysFIRST@gmail.com

On Edit:  I can't send attachments, so I'll provide a link to the PDF file here:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AgsKbxIRN0RygrExl-kOL62kRcQeng

Never argue with drunks or crazy people
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.