Author Topic: My neck ofthe woods  (Read 1686 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

My neck ofthe woods
« on: July 10, 2016, 06:37:24 pm »
Here we are 10 days into July. Hunting coyotes is a new endover at this time of year for us. Never the less we are hard at it and learning. Have figured out is best to call them from high grass and wooded areas with low growing bushes with the darn green leaves. Eric and I got 3 in a soy bean field using a double caller set up. Almost a week later one was gotten in a hay field that had been mowed and the bales taken off using a Weasel ball decoy and a squealing pig call.

Dryer than a pop corn fart here. Got 2.4 inches of rain Thursday night thru early Friday morning. Most didn't run off due to the huge cracks in the clay soil here that sucked it in. I ate two of the grape tomatoes from my raised beds and have others real close to getting there. The summer yellow crook neck squash plants are just loaded and I will probably pick some in a week or so to make a old fashion Hungarian soup my mom use to make with them and potatoes rice and venison burger.
Here I thought I would not have a garden this year.

Have also started getting  the fire wood up that I normally do in September and October. Split a load up this morning, Sharpened a chain and cut some up to haul on Monday.

Lot of buck horn in the lawns so I mowed then this afternoon set the mower at 3.75 inches.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: My neck ofthe woods
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 08:33:56 pm »
Another day of drizzle and some rain here, but we needed it badly. I haven't had to mow the lawn in almost 3 weeks it's been so dry.
Clover is full on but again it is so dry.......

I was cleaning out my honey shack and was moving some deeps that are loaded with the frames of capped honey I have been removing from brood chambers, making room for the queens, when I felt a really bad pain in my lower back. I have been laid up and in agony all day. I hope this goes away soon, even just standing building frames is killing me. :o

I have to get my temporary extracting set up going until my trailer is fully operational. Hopefully water and sewer hook up next week, and then power. I should (hopefully) be starting to pull my first round of honey in a week or so.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 11:41:28 pm »
Keep after them Al.  My summer's are so busy I have to work at coyote reduction in winter.  The coyotes here and I don't get along very well :)
Chip

Offline Alleyyooper

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:39:00 am »
I don't like coyotes around either. Never used to see them on the troll side of the bridge. About 25 years a go they started showing up and now we are crawling with them it seems.

;D  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:46:12 am »
On our ranch in Brown County, the coyotes are relatively easy to hunt.  At my home, near De Leon, there are many coyote hunters and they have "educated" the coyotes.  I cannot call a coyote up at my residence.  My nearest neighbor is one-half mile distant or a bit more and he calls coyotes often.  I should say he attempts to call coyotes.  He has never killed one, but he has made them wary.  None of my neighbors can keep out-side cats and small dogs in their yards.  Deep into the night small yard pets are prey to the coyotes.

The three living creatures that have expanded their domain in recent decades are: fire ants, coyotes and feral pigs. 

lazy

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 06:05:23 pm »
And, out of those 3, only 1 is good eating Lazy!  Son and a friend drove down to Texas a month or so ago to shoot some pigs and do a little fishing.  He's been grilling pig a lot lately!!  He shot fairly small ones 130lb or so.
Chip