Author Topic: Pickled Okra Recipe?  (Read 5430 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Pickled Okra Recipe?
« on: September 19, 2018, 10:36:29 pm »
i love okra, i buy it 'fresh' from our local store and grill it.  (well fresh from what we recieve in the north)......okra so good on the grill! like any other vegetable!

i have purchased some pickled okra in the past from the local grocery store, and recently 'talk o texas' crisp pickled okra........
this was awsome! crisp and tasty!

i have googled recipes for pickling okra, wondering if any of our southerners have a perfected recipe for pickling okra and crispy for doing so?

my grandmother grew fresh okra in oklahoma, and okra in her cast iron skillet on the stove was awesome stuff!  never been able to duplicate her recipe.
she also pickled her okra, but unfortunately for me i do not have her recipe, sure wish i did. would love to have a conversation with her about the fine art on okra. she would get a kick out of me grilling it on a charcoal grill and would love it. probably wouldn't rival her fried okra, but good tasting and maybe more fat friendly......... :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Pickled Okra Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 07:00:15 pm »
Can't remember what type okra, think it was clemson spineless?   My mother could could duplicate it . cast iron pan, fatback or bacon grease or lard. Cooked on low until browned,  then just sprinkle a little stone ground fine white cornmeal.  Our oldest mills (atkinson or house autry) was used. If cast iron pan is seasoned good , you don't use much grease.  Thats the trick for me.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 08:17:17 pm »
Forgot to say , with grease and okra on low.  Don't use lid. You want all moisture cooked out . Before corn or flour mill. Well seasoned pan !

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:29:32 pm »
When i lived in Louisiana they dusted outside of okra then put in cast pan with grease . get out side crisp first,  then let water release . then cook down

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:10 pm »
thanks mikey,
frying up fresh okra is an art!

my grandmother used a well seasoned cast iron skillet, lard or bacon grease, dusted the okra in cornmeal and an egg mixture, maybe some flour? salt, pepper, and maybe a little cajun seasoning, she never put a lid on it.......we slobbered that okra right up............ :D :D :D

up here in the north we get what we can from a local grocer. with okra, the smallest are the best, kind of have to figure out by looking at it what's going to be woody.

i was looking for a recipe for anyone who had pickled okra in jars rather than frying this up, cuz it might last longer............ :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:44:28 am »
We grow Okra ever year and still have it baring in the garden now.I like it just about any way it's fixed except that slimy way, we eat it raw straight off the stalk while working in the garden, in salads, fried dipped in egg milk and rolled in corn meal or flower, fried in with fried potato's, stemmed and put on the plate with salt pepper and real butter. Janet use to pickle Okra but, when you can buy a gallon jar of pickled Okra at Sam's for less than $5.00 it;s not worth the trouble :no:  We don't like to pick any Okra much over 3 inches long  it starts getting woody but, the weather has a lot to do with. Jack

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 07:32:15 pm »
 :laugh:slobberd :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:30:22 pm »
cbt...... ;D

jack, not sure we can buy a gallon jar of pickled okra up here. i will have to hunt around i guess.

i do like to grill it on the weber (charcoal), turns out pretty tasty. just toss it in olive oil and use whatever seasoning on it, and grill it over direct heat.
some of it disappears before it hits the table......... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »
I’ve got to try it while picking in the garden next year. Never thought about having it raw. Hope it is good as raw crook neck squash raw on a salad. Don’t knock it till you try it.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »
Ever tried fried Cucumber? sliced like Okra, dipped in egg & milk, rolled in cornmeal , deep fried. Not bad. :no: Jack

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 08:24:23 pm »
I love fried dill pickles might be close.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 09:43:05 pm »
never had raw crooked neck squash on a salad.......hmm, will have to try it. we have grilled it.........pretty tasty grilled! and i have grilled kohlrabi, it's good on the grill too! i don't like cookin' indoors, everything typically goes on the grill, and my cast iron gets a pretty good work out on the grill.

fried stuff?!..... i love fried okra, never tried fried cukes or fried dill pickles! bet they are delish! have done fried mators..........you guys are making me hungry with this fried stuff!

ps........ i am trying to watch my figure and fat cells so this fried stuff is out, but............. :D

and of course we don't get gallon jars of pickled okra up here, been all over looking for them!

Forum Sponsor