Sustainable Living > Gardening

Black Locust

(1/4) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I ordered some bare root Black Locust trees from Musser Forests.  They should arrive today.  I have ordered various things from them in the past and have had very good success.  I plan to pot some of the trees up and make them available to members of my local bee club.  Black Locust blooms only last about 7 days.  In this part of the country the bloom is often rained on and beat to death.  But, when the weather cooperates it is a superior nectar.

Newbee:
That's a great idea!
I noticed their prices drop significantly when you get up in higher quantities, I wonder if your group would do a 'group buy', and get like 100 or something to share? I know I'd put in a few bucks for a handful of trees if my group did that.

- K

Bakersdozen:
Newbee, you should suggest that!
A prominent member in my bee club announces to the club when he is placing an order with the state conservation organization.  He places the order for anyone interested.  As I recall you have to order in bundles of 25.  For many, that's a lot of trees. It's also usually done in January.
Trees arrived yesterday via Fed Ex.  Great looking roots.  The trees themselves were about 2 ft. tall, with roots they were about 3 ft. tall.  I potting them last night.  Potting them allows me time to get my bearings.  It also gives them a month to get established so that I can take a few to my bee club's event and put some in the silent auction fund raiser.
I believe they will be a popular addition.   

Bakersdozen:
I thought I might add more to the black locust story.  I live next to a city park and I thought it would be great to have some black locust in the park.  There are a lot of native trees there.  I called the city arborist and left a message asking if it would be ok to plant some of my 2 yr old trees.  He left me a message and was very pleased with the idea.  He said he would get back with me about location and how to keep grounds keeping from mowing them down.  The arborist also said that he would like to see more black locust throughout the city. 
You never know until you ask!

brooksbeefarm:
I have several here on the farm, they bloom around May 10th in this area (they were early this year?) Once they get established they are aggressive  and will sprout up all around, i dig them up and take them to my out yards. When the weather is right the honey from them is to die for and is very light in color.Jack

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version