Beekeeping > TBH, Warre, and Other Alternative Hives

My New Portable Observation Hive

(1/4) > >>

Jen:
Got this little beauty off of Pinterest. Can get them on Amazon as well. Going to go to each of my grandchildren's classes before school is out this summer.

Would like some input on how to do a presentation.

How long?
What to take?
Should I provide a honey snack?
What is the most important thing to discuss with preschool kids, and 3rd graders?
Where do I get a large poster, educational, to show the queen, drones, and workers?

neillsayers:
That's really cool, Jen. Can't answer any questions, just wanted to offer a high five. :)

Jen:
Thanks Neil :occasion14: This is a close as I can get to a high five  :D

tedh:
That's a NICE setup Jen!  I've been looking at the  posters/educational material in Mann Lake catalog.  They seem a little pricey in general.  The 6, 7,8 year olds I've gloved and veiled up to show hives to here at home seemed fascinated by all the beginner info, all bees in colony related, girls do the work, how bees sleep, where do they poop....  You know, the fun stuff.  I did spend a bit of time explaining that bees weren't "out to get them" that bees were not really aggressive but more defensive.  That they didn't need to be afraid of bees in their yards as long as the bees weren't threatened.  Areas with AHB problems may need to modify or skip that all together.  Anyway, GOOD ON YOU!  Ted

Perry:
With kids that age, keep it interesting and keep it short, 1/2 hour tops!
I always start off with a fruit tray, asking kids what they see on the fruit tray they really like. I then point out that without honey bees that would go missing. I let them devour the fruit tray at the end. Kids have a limited attention span and they will start to wander after 20 minutes or so, no matter how interesting it may seem to the rest of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version