Author Topic: Setting up apiary in farmland  (Read 1696 times)

Offline TheFuzz

Setting up apiary in farmland
« on: September 07, 2021, 01:38:05 am »
I have an opportunity of moving some beehives to a location that is surrounded in every direction by crop land. The whole area is surrounded by paddocks that farmers are using to grow various crops. I saw wheat, canola, green beans, I'm sure a lot more.

There's also eucalyptus trees and some other native flowers in the scrub along the roads, but there isn't a lot of that. The region has an annual rainfall of 50mm, which is a little higher than some other places. I don't know about other flowers but I know eucalyptus flowers are largely dependent on good rainfall to produce nectar.

I'm wondering if this sounds like it might be a good apiary location for bees, or is relying on large fields of monoculture plants a bad idea? Could the pesticides that the farmers be harmful for the bees health?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Setting up apiary in farmland
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2021, 10:46:53 am »
Before thinking about crops and pesticide use think about:
 1. How far is the location from your house? It could be too far to check on them regularly. 
2. Will the colonies be placed where there is a reliable fresh water source?
3. Will you have locked gates to enter when you visit?
4. Does the farmer expect anything in return? Does he expect you to pay him?
5. Will there be horses or cattle rubbing up against the hive boxes?
6. Does the area flood?
7. Is there a natural wind break or will you need to provide one in winter?
8. And you have already thought of this one...is there adequate food sources?

50mm annual rainfall isn't very much.  How do you grow crops with that little amount of rain?  Irrigation?
Scientists are finding that a monoculture environment makes for unhealthy bees.  Honey Bees are more likely to flourish when they have access to a diversity of pollen sources.  You may have to offer pollen substitutes. 
Hopefully others will have some suggestions too.

Offline TheFuzz

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2021, 02:22:08 am »
Thanks for that check list!

As for the location, it'd be a very convenient location, which is big reason why I'm interested.

I'd be able to place a water source there if need be, there is a water tank.

Yeah I'm not sure about food though, I guess sometimes there will be lots of flowers and other times there will be little.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of pollen sources there is out there. I may need to investigate.

EDIT:

I took a satellite image showing what's within 5km of the area:

https://postimg.cc/gallery/vcPJmXg

Also, 50mm annual rainfall is more than average by a good amount where I'm from: I live in the driest state, in the driest continent, and the lack of rainfall certainly effects nectar flow. Yes, lots of irrigation is required here to grow crops.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2021, 02:14:45 pm »
Fuzz, you will have to check regularly (every 7 days?) to see if they are bringing in nectar and pollen.  Be prepared to feed them sugar syrup and pollen sub.  You and the landowner might throw some nectar and pollen providing seed in the areas around the fields.  Will the bees drown in the water tank or can you put something that floats on the water?  You didn't say anything about how cold it gets there.  I am not that familiar with Australia weather.  The first year will give you an idea if this location works for you and the bees.  Good luck!

Offline TheFuzz

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 07:00:36 pm »
So if I don't see much fresh nectar deposits, and notice that honey is being eaten I'd then supply sugar syrup, and I'd also need to observe and note how much pollen they are storing in their cells? The bees won't drown. The cold isn't relevant here, the summer heat is more relevant, I'd need to put the hives in a location where they get summer day shade from the sun.

Offline TheFuzz

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 06:46:46 pm »
I went and had another look and noticed that there's quite a bit of canola fields within 5km distance to the property. Is it true that canola causes bees to be more aggressive and make their stings more painful? I seem to recall that I wasn't a big fan of canola flavour wise, I remember these beekeepers I worked with once were exporting large quantities of canola to Japan as allegedly the Japanese market had high demand for canola honey, unlike the Australian one.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 11:22:37 am »
I went and had another look and noticed that there's quite a bit of canola fields within 5km distance to the property. Is it true that canola causes bees to be more aggressive and make their stings more painful? I seem to recall that I wasn't a big fan of canola flavour wise, I remember these beekeepers I worked with once were exporting large quantities of canola to Japan as allegedly the Japanese market had high demand for canola honey, unlike the Australian one.
Canola typically grows north, in the Dakotas, and up into Canada.  I live in wheat and corn country.  Canola is also big in Scandinavia.  So I don't have any personal experience but I understand that honey bees thrive on canola.  It produces a very light colored honey that crystallizes very quickly.  Sometimes it can crystallize in the comb.
I do know that honey is very expensive in Japan.  There are beekeepers in Japan, of course, but the price of honey is high.  When a put together a box of presents to send to my son and his family living in Japan, I always include honey.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 09:15:24 am »
I have not noticed any difference in my bees’ disposition when feeding on canola.  Purely anecdotal, I know, but hope it helps.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau