Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bee News / Re: Bee Migration ~ ABC News
« Last post by Some Day on Today at 09:10:06 AM »
I watched the video, but I think I missed the part were they discussed the Varroa mite and its effect on honey bees.  I did catch the "Climate Change" message.

Isn't this Ginger a cutie!  Even more so than Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island.
Homestead / Re: cast iron
« Last post by Riverrat on Today at 08:14:38 AM »
I use lye bath and electrolysis tank.  Here is a few of my waffle irons.  I may have to have an intervention. Excuse the mess I am rearranging to add more shelving

Pests and Diseases / Re: Buckets of honeycomb infested by wax moth
« Last post by omnimirage on Today at 06:26:23 AM »
I couldn't quite figure it out, but there appears to be maybe 3 types of buckets/lids out there, if not more. I moved all the buckets outside, adjusted the lids so that they were all sealed up well to best effect, wrote labels on each bucket about its contents, checked with wax moth about 8 buckets have been infected many buckets with honey in them, I can't feasibly crush and strain that many in the time frame that I have, so I'm seeking to buy a second hand freezer as soon as I can, so that I can just freeze the buckets and kill the wax moth inside that way. I couldn't find any long chest freezers, there's a few upright freezers, I figure I can just rest them on their side, I'm waiting back on the dimensions of these second hand freezers the people who posted these ads didn't mention such I need to know whether they actually have enough depth to fit a 27 litre bucket.

I moved out all the beekeeping gear and set the bug bomb off. It appears to be quite a low potent one, but it should do the job. I just need to be careful about not reinfecting the area with them via the moths out of the buckets, I made sure all the buckets that had moths had extra tight lids, and I hope I can find a suitable cheap freezer soon to buy.
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Best way to print labels
« Last post by omnimirage on Today at 06:18:17 AM »
Is it cheaper doing it yourself?

Business card tie sounds great!

So you want to use colours for lip balm labels, but not honey labels?

Hand made tags to wrap around the lid rather than paste on sure gives me food for thought! :)

I'm not sure about the avon skin soft oil, but I'm imaging I could.
Pests and Diseases / Re: Buckets of honeycomb infested by wax moth
« Last post by omnimirage on Today at 06:14:05 AM »
I'll do that, thanks! :)
Products Of The Hive / Re: Storing honeycomb for sale
« Last post by omnimirage on Today at 06:13:03 AM »
Is selling customers a frozen product something that they have to thaw out, unappealing at all? I'm just unsure how people would find that. How long do they tend to take to thaw out?

That's what I'm doing basically. I'm just getting more coming in that I can easily manage. Liquid honey is much easier to store. I just can't fit them all in the freezers that I currently have. I might need to set up another freezer.

Do you charge extra for when you put comb in the jar? I cut up slices for the first time and put them in jars, they ended up looking rather good though, I think I cut the comb cubes too small maybe.

You made a lot of sense, thanks! :)

Pests and Diseases / Re: Beetle Banisher
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 03:26:24 AM »
Make your own. Cut to size, 10 covers per sheet. Heat in a oven about 275 deg. F. clamp in mold and vacuum the air out to form it into the mold. need a good vacuum pump, a shop vac will not work.
or Cut it flush and square, silicon it on top of a wood frame and place it on top. this way you could get 12 covers per sheet. I wonder it the Plexi would give a green house effect and melt the wax or cook the bees out of the hive.

http://www.eplastics.com/plexiglass-acrylic-sheet-transparent-colors

Gloss
Transparent
0.125" x 48" x 96" 2423 red plexiglass acrylic sheet paper masked

Plexiglass Sheets Colored Transparent
Transparent acrylic is a versatile plastic material that has great impact strength while maintaining its light weight. Transparent colors offer light transmission through the material enabling it to act as a colored or tinted window. This acrylic (also known as transparent plexiglass) is very easy to work with for projects that require fabrication.

The ePlastics® online store offers up a wide array of transparent colored plexiglass sheets. Standard tinted colors include bronze and gray solar control shades, red, green, yellow, amber, and blue. Transparent colored acrylic is tinted, meaning you can see completely through like sunglasses or tinted windows in automobiles. If you are not sure which color to use in your application, you can compare the differences with our samples shown here.

We cut to size all acrylic sheets we sell, which saves on shipping costs since it offers a more economical means of packaging. The chart below shows standard sizing increments and conversions for acrylic sheets.

Quantity
Price each
1 – 2     $134.09
3 – 9    $117.02
10 – 19   $103.62
20 – 29   $98.13
30 – 49   $92.64
50 +    $83.50
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 02:59:37 AM »
Even works in Canada.
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Re: How to do a trap out
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 02:55:25 AM »
Does photo bucket still give people access to their own photos that people have uploaded to their site with out a subscription?
That is the problem with the marketing of the system. It is not a flow hive but only a flow frames in a flow super. The Colony is just a standard hive, that needs to be ran like any other hive for 47 months of the year, Maybe more. At the Flow people price they are a great novelty item, at the Chinese knock off price they almost makes sense. If managed properly the less equipment needed, the value of honey used by the bees in wax production to draw out foundation and the cost of extraction equipment. You could get away with less lifting of heave supers, less sticky mess in the house, very little cleanup, little wax moth and hive beetle damage. I do think it is gimmick beekeeping but not a totally bad gimmick.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10