Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Bee News / Brood communication and hygienic behavior
« Last post by Chip Euliss on Yesterday at 08:08:12 pm »
Here's a link that may be of interest to those of you interested in the improving technology of testing for hygienic behavior in breeder stock.  I'm a strong advocate for genetic solutions to improve our bees.

https://academic.oup.com/jee/advance-article/doi/10.1093/jee/toy266/5095208
Bee News / Re: Vaccine for honeybees
« Last post by Chip Euliss on Yesterday at 07:56:14 pm »
I read about this work outside of this forum and it does look very encouraging.  My understanding is that the next steps will focus on European foul brood and Nosema.  Foul brood is easily mitigated by hygienic bees and neither have been an issue in my operation; I'm more keenly interested in what they develop for nosema.  Viral and other bee diseases vectored by mites are best addressed through aggressive mite control.  On a separate note, there is a researcher in North Carolina who is developing better ways to test for hygienic behavior in breeder queen stock.  I think she's looking for commercial bee breeders to partner with to develop the tool.  It is based on the chemical signals that distressed larvae (from mites or a disease) emit that cause hygienic bees to work their magic.  Very promising
General Beekeeping / Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
« Last post by Chip Euliss on Yesterday at 07:38:50 pm »
Overheating or repeat heating of high fructose corn syrup produces hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) which is toxic to bees.  It causes the syrup to turn brownish.  I'm sure the folks who made the patties are aware of this and used the nice clear stuff to make the product.  I wouldn't be concerned.  HMF is my main reason for feeding sucrose syrup versus corn syrup.  However, I do add citric acid to break down (invert) the sucrose into glucose and fructose because bees can't use sucrose directly--they have to convert it to glucose and fructose using themselves so doing it for them helps the bees get the most out of the syrup.  I am careful to not reheat any left over syrup but the inverted syrup is less viscous and it pumps very well even when cool
Any and Every Thing / Re: Something good comes my way
« Last post by barry42001 on Yesterday at 04:28:37 pm »
Buy some DEET Barry  ;)
Far more concerned with fire ants than mosquitoes I'll deal with

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Pests and Diseases / Re: Oxalic Acid Shop Towel Extended Release Method
« Last post by Jacobs on Yesterday at 12:08:49 pm »
I do like OAV both as a winter treatment (per label) and as an emergency knock down (somewhat off label) when mite counts are above threshold and temperatures are too high for other treatments.  I do want to play with a couple of hives by using screened bottom boards, doing regular sticky boards, using OAV as an emergency 1 time knock down if needed, and follow up sticky boards to see how effective this routine is.  I have used the 1 time knockdown in summer a couple of times with good results, but that may have been luck or chance.  If I do OAV when real honey is in the top super, I chase the bees out of it with Bee Quick and a fume pad, put a piece of plywood between the honey super and brood and do the OAV.  Once all has cooled down, I remove the plywood and reunite the honey with the brood.   I don't use the shop towel OA method.  I'll wait to see the results of testing and if effective, a good reasonably safe method of making and applying them.
Calendar & Events / Re: Texas Beekeepers Convention: Temple, Texas
« Last post by tecumseh on Yesterday at 06:33:15 am »
there does seem to be a lot of hostile angry folks out there.  I would guess the reason for that are much as they have always been.  most of those are folks who seem to not get along with anyone... which I why I classify them as anarchist.
Pests and Diseases / Re: Oxalic Acid Shop Towel Extended Release Method
« Last post by tecumseh on Yesterday at 06:28:57 am »
I guess I have worked for too many lawyers... And it seems that some here have interpret the law in a unbending fashion which is not how things work in the real world.  The basic rule you should apply when it come to interpreting the law.... is 1) there is THE LAW and 2) there is the implementation of the law (or as is most common NOT).  Which is to say there are numerous laws on the books and some are enforced and some are not... Some laws (like that which applies to oxalic) has no one to even enforce the law.  When I have a question about such matters as this..... I typically ask the head of the Texas Apiary Inspection Service to see what they do and what they think.  Even if I went against their advice there is really no one to enforce the law.

I do treat the bees at the TAMU bee lab with oxalic.  It is so cheap I even play around with dribble, slow release towels and thick cardboard. Like many varroa treatments effectiveness is not the same across all types of application and each one's effectiveness will with proper (not so proper) timing.  It seems to work best in the bloodless state.

I would recommend folks NOT use the oxalic which is sold as wood bleach in lumber supply stores.... < several reasons for this 1) you are uncertain to all the other things added to the mix and 2) mixing stuff up in large batches can pose problems in terms of equal distribution of the various things added to the mix.

You do want to buy the right form of oxalic.

Gene in Central Texas....   
Bee News / Re: Vaccine for honeybees
« Last post by apisbees on Yesterday at 02:54:00 am »
It is encouraging but it has been developed to immune bees from American fowl brood. this is a disease that has been around for over 100 years and is manageable with in a bee operation. if they can get immunity to the virus that are brought by mites.
Bee News / Vaccine for honeybees
« Last post by Zweefer on December 07, 2018, 09:29:23 pm »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10