Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Beekeeping 101 / Re: 52 Hives from 13 hives in two years?
« Last post by Riverrat on Today at 07:34:49 pm »
Feed early build up early you can split a hive twice in the year if you stay on top of them keeping feed on also if you have drawn comb helps.  you could make the 52 by end of year
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 06:23:19 pm »
Some Day,

One must always account for Murphy and his annoying law. :)
« Last post by Some Day on Today at 05:45:09 pm »
Thanks for playing Neil.  It looks like that theory has a 100% survival rate and a 100% acceptance rate on the splits.  I have not seen that in the real world yet.

Has any one had 100% success?  If so , how did you do it and on how many hives?
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 05:25:02 pm »
 Theoretically it can be done in two years. Depends on the strength of the colony. Place pollen supplement early at the end of winter season and split every hive at the beginning of spring. Feed all hives until the main flow. Next year repeat. You now have 52 hives.

Introducing a queen at the beginning would give them a serious boost. You can rear your own or buy.  :)
General Beekeeping / Re: Is this the ultimate test of temperment?
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 05:19:09 pm »
Hey, I have some stuff like that in a jar, but it's pickled.

Huh? :)
Beekeeping 101 / 52 Hives from 13 hives in two years?
« Last post by Some Day on Today at 05:19:08 pm »
If a guy wanted to have 52 hives going into fall of 2020 and he was starting with 13 hives in the fall of 2018 how would you go about it?

Purchasing package bees is not an option for this exercise.

Purchasing local mated queens or queen cells could be an option.

Any ideas?
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Girls just hanging out in the evening.
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 04:04:06 pm »
  The place HAS been somewhat of a ghost town lately

I like it!   Post away Some Day and tedh!  Generate some controversy!
« Last post by tedh on Today at 03:28:52 pm »
Meh.  Peace schmeace.  The place HAS been somewhat of a ghost town lately so if you pick a topic and a side, I'll argue the other. 8)
« Last post by Some Day on Today at 10:42:53 am »
Ted,

No worries about hi-jacking the thread.  There have not been many threads on the forum lately and a guy probably needs to practice his hi-jacking skills or he will lose them.

Maybe we should start a few "this vs that" type of threads to generate some activity.  Like say screened bottom boards vs solid. Or treatment of mites vs treatment free.  Perhaps all medium equipment vs all deep vs a mix of the two.  Then again maybe not, it has been over a 150 years since our last Civil War and I am in favor of peace time.
« Last post by tedh on Today at 10:06:44 am »
I knew it!  I knew there was a logical, intelligent reason!  Twelve hives per trailer load, twelve hives per day, makes perfect sense.  That and having a number as far as building equipment goes I completely understand.  As I said earlier we're shooting for 20 - 25 hives but I'll keep building a few each year until we get the equipment for 28 hives, along with extra bottom boards, inner covers, tele covers and entrance reducers.

We've been keeping 4 hives per outyard, just because it breaks up the inspections giving us time to drink water and cool off on the way to the next site.  Also, having heard that just about any area can support 6 hives, we figure maybe we have a better chance for a honey crop with 4 hives per.

Apologies for high jacking the thread, but it's been fun chatting.  Ted
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10