Author Topic: some things are just meant to bee  (Read 4223 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
some things are just meant to bee
« on: April 29, 2018, 07:28:06 am »
remember that queen that got a joyride the other day? well she's either holding a grudge or just got into another drone's sperm because that hive got mean. I also discovered that the elastic at the bottom of my bee jacket has gotten loose!! I had bees in my armpits, in my ear, in butt my crack, IN MY BUTT CRACK!!!..................I drove away in my bee jacket with the windows down & after a mile got out & knocked off bees, did that 3 times & still had bees in the truck when I got home. so after saving her i'm going back today to kill that ungrateful vamp. luckily I have a queen in hand, this time i'll have a long sleeve shirt with a long tail on, a belt at the waist over my suit, & Velcro straps on my pants cuffs.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: some things are just meant to bee
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 08:38:04 am »
ouch!
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 08:44:03 am »
rober, I copied and pasted your original posting about that "ungrateful vamp".   :laugh:

"I checked the hives at an outyard today. I gave them some syrup last week but left the remaining candy & the 2" spacers. 3 of the hives had 5 & 6 frames of brood & quite a few drones. 1 hive built a lot of comb in the 2" space between the frames & inner covers. I shook the bees off the comb & put the remaining candy & comb in a 1 gallon bucket. because there was brood in the comb I looked it over in case the queen was on it. thru everything the back of the truck & headed home. 1 1/2 hours later I started a pot of syrup on the hot plate & started putting the candy in the pot. then came the OH SHOOT moment!!! crawling up the side of the bucket & wet with syrup I spot the queen!!!! I do not know how she survived without being crushed or blown out the back or chilled to death. I grabbed her with a queen clip. put her in a battery box & raced back to the yard. I put the spacer back on the hive & put her clip & all on top of the frames. my thinking is that the workers can tend to her in the clip & if she croaks i'll know where she is. i'll check her Friday morning as i'm tied up tomorrow. this just goes to show how easy it is to overlook a queen. I looked that comb over after shaking off the bees & missed her. I hope she survives. this hive had 5 frames of brood."
Those that would like to read the entire thread can do so here.  https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7791.0

Maybe the title of this thread should read Some things aren't meant to bee.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 08:48:03 am »
I might be inclined to hold off on blaming the queen for the nastiness. If there was no hostile behaviour before the joyride I am doubtful that alone was responsible for the turn of behaviour. She may have been "offed" and the hive is now queenless which could explain the nastiness, or maybe something as simple as a skunk was bothering that hive overnight and got their backs up prior to your visit.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 09:51:38 am »
they were a little cranky the last 2 visits. yesterday though was really bad. if they're calmer this morning she'll get a reprieve. if not, off with her head.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 12:44:32 pm »
Hi Rober, I read and reread your drama with this queen. Maybe I missed something. The part in the story I'm missing is... When you put the queen back in the hive 'still in the queen clip' how much time went by before you released her back into the hive?

Thinking like Perry in that if she was content before her ride home with you, then I'm thinking it's the bees that became cranky.

Truly, sorry about your stings Rober! Not a good ending to your day... Dang!

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 04:26:01 pm »
 jen- she was released from the clip when I checked on her the following friday.
I had bees on me today as soon as I got out of the truck 50' from the hives & when I lifted the outer cover it was game on. I got lucky & found the queen on the 2nd frame that I checked. same as yesterday got in the truck with the suit on & windows open. 1 mile later I got out brushed off more bees & started down the road again. this time I met a sheriff's deputy who gave me a long hard look, made a U-turn & pulled me over, as I got out of the truck he was approaching & asked what the h.......... was as far as he got & the girls were on him. he fled to his car & I raised my arms gesturing what now he waved me on. 2 more pit stops & I came out of the suit. that queen is now pickled. I have queens arriving on Tuesday so i'll have to check this hive 1 more time to make sure they've not made any queen cells.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 04:54:52 pm »
Rober, were the bees still aggressive after driving down the road?

My recent (and first) experience with bees following me into my truck was that the bees still in the truck had all calmed down after going about a mile.  Most were willingly blown out the windows.

I was hoping this was normal behavior, not unusual.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 06:12:29 pm »
this time I met a sheriff's deputy who gave me a long hard look, made a U-turn & pulled me over, as I got out of the truck he was approaching & asked what the h.......... was as far as he got & the girls were on him. he fled to his car & I raised my arms gesturing what now he waved me on.

Rober, while I feel for both you and the Sherriff's deputy, I have to admit to a good belly laugh over this. :laugh:

It reminds me of many years ago when I was trucking and I had a container of deer and cow hides headed for Hamburg Germany. They were salted and half soaked in a brine that stunk to high heaven. Before I locked the doors on the container I would do my best to run a sheet of plastic up the rear doors to hold a lot of it in. Anyways, I crossed the scales and weighed in fine, but as I was crossing the bridge to get over to the container terminal I got flagged down by the bridge police and got waved over onto some portable scales they had set out. Once my trailer got up on the portable scales I saw the bridge cop step back and then come running up to the cab of the tractor asking what the heck I had in the container as it was dribbling all over his scales and stunk like cr@p! :o
Before I could answer he told me to take off and as I pulled away I could see him fetching some rags from his trunk to use to pick up his scales. ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 08:46:48 pm »
wanderer-yes they were still cranky.
perry-back in the early 70's i was passing thru a small town & was pulled over cuz' my hair was long. so of course the cop searched my truck & in the glove box he found an a labeled plastic bottle of fox lure. the previous owner of the truck was a trapper. the cop opened it & as he raised it to his nose i shouted don't. he paused & got this 'gotcha' look on his face & took a big whiff & immediately started throwing up.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 08:51:14 pm »

perry-back in the early 70's i was passing thru a small town & was pulled over cuz' my hair was long. so of course the cop searched my truck & in the glove box he found an a labeled plastic bottle of fox lure. the previous owner of the truck was a trapper. the cop opened it & as he raised it to his nose i shouted don't. he paused & got this 'gotcha' look on his face & took a big whiff & immediately started throwing up.

;D :D ;D

Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2018, 12:16:29 am »

Now that's funny! I don't care who you are! :laugh: :laugh:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2018, 08:40:47 am »
i did warn him-sorta'. trapping lures can be foul. I've never used steel traps only ho-made box traps & wire live traps. when i catch skunks & drown them i extract their stink & bottle it & sell it to trappers. if you carefully  make an incision on either side of the anus you'll find the stink glands. i extract their 'essence' with a syringe. i get $15.00 per oz.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 12:08:24 pm »
Rober!! Stop! You're Killin Me Here! ...  "i did warn him-sorta"

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 06:46:33 pm »
i did warn him-sorta'. trapping lures can be foul. I've never used steel traps only ho-made box traps & wire live traps. when i catch skunks & drown them i extract their stink & bottle it & sell it to trappers. if you carefully  make an incision on either side of the anus you'll find the stink glands. i extract their 'essence' with a syringe. i get $15.00 per oz.
I always wondered who did that.  Now I know, it's rober!  Now wait!  You wonder why you have cranky bees?  Your other pursuits could be the reason for cranky bees! :laugh:  :eusa_think:

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 09:37:41 pm »
I have friends who are involved in those mountain man rendezvous reenactments. they buy the skins for hats, powder & shot bags, etc. trappers buy the stink. serves those skunks right for eating my girls. it's kinda' like what they say about pigs. there's a use for everything but the squeal. meps fishing lures buys squirrel tales. I have live traps & a high powered air rifle. between me, the traps, & my redbone hound squirrels enter my turf at their peril. we hateses the little wire chewing, tomato biting, flower bulb digging, bird feeder raiding vermin. we hateses em Gollum Gollum we hateses em. because mepps buys the tails I have a good way of keeping count. when I stilled lived in st louis city I was averaging 400 squirrels a year. where I am now i'm averaging 40.

Offline moebees

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 10:07:33 pm »
I have friends who are involved in those mountain man rendezvous reenactments. they buy the skins for hats, powder & shot bags, etc. trappers buy the stink. serves those skunks right for eating my girls. it's kinda' like what they say about pigs. there's a use for everything but the squeal. meps fishing lures buys squirrel tales. I have live traps & a high powered air rifle. between me, the traps, & my redbone hound squirrels enter my turf at their peril. we hateses the little wire chewing, tomato biting, flower bulb digging, bird feeder raiding vermin. we hateses em Gollum Gollum we hateses em. because mepps buys the tails I have a good way of keeping count. when I stilled lived in st louis city I was averaging 400 squirrels a year. where I am now i'm averaging 40.

Really?  You are bragging about this?  Unbelievable.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians - Isabella Rossellini

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 10:57:36 pm »
Bad booty story here Rober! Fun to read  ;) 8) I also know that you were one of the coolest on the road hippies, that saw more live concert hippy music than most of us. I'll look forward to your memoirs ~

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:17:35 am »
moe- let's not get all judgmental here. I am not bragging. this a classic example of how man upsets the natural balance. without predators squirrels are running amok in the cities. in the 12 years that I owned that house they chewed their way into my attic doing several K in damage including some electrical damage. they got into my garage/workshop & chewed the knob & tube wiring which started a fire. had I not been it when that fire started it would have burned to the ground taking my house with it & damaged the neighbor's properties as well & could have possibly killed or seriously myself, a neighbor, or a fireman. & this does not include the general nuisance damage they did. my neighbors ALL thanked me as their damage was down as well. does not that body count at least suggest that something is seriously out of balance??? the squirrels here are up to the same. the difference here is that they end up being fried or stewed. the same is going on with deer. after being driven to extinction deer were reintroduced here in Missouri. the urban population is so out of control that more & more townships now allow bow hunting.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 06:56:08 pm »

Gollum impression cracking me up! :laugh:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a