Author Topic: What to do, what to do?  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
What to do, what to do?
« on: May 02, 2018, 03:16:51 pm »
Many of you know I have switched to beekeeping strictly in 5 frame NUCS (weight issues).  I have one NUC left after Spring  :'(.  The current configuration is two deep NUC boxes.  Just checked the hive today and the queen is going gangbusters.  Of the ten frames, seven have brood, larva or eggs.  There are plenty of bees to cover brood if I split the hive.  There are no swarm cells "yet".  Do you think I should split this hive into two NUCS and let them raise a new queen?  Or split them and buy a new queen?  Or just add a medium super on top for honey and leave them as is and run the risk of them swarming.  Also,do you think I should put on a queen excluder? 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: What to do, what to do?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 05:02:16 pm »
I would split and add a queen if you can get one. If not, split and walk away, making sure everything has room and doesn't get crowded.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Les

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 05:53:02 pm »
I was thinking exactly what Perry said, split and add a queen.  The walk away is doable but would be my second choice.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 06:08:09 pm »
Thanks Perry and Ted.   I have never had a swarm in four years.  I would love to experience it.  I have a swarm trap set up and there have been bees scouting it out but as you know, no guarantee where a swarm will go. If they swarmed, I might watch them fly off into the horizon. I guess the wise beek would do the smart thing and get a queen. I did recently learn there is a beek within a half mile or so from my house.  Maybe I can catch a swarm from his bees.  I would be willing to bet his bees robbed one of my hives last fall.....only fair isn’t it?   :laugh: :P :laugh:

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 06:20:49 pm »
Les,

When 3Reds and I moved our hives, we took the frames out of our 10 Frame Langstroths and put them in 5 frame Jester plastic nucs for transport purposes.  Would you be able to go back to 10 frames, and use these nucs when ever you need to move a hive or pull frames of honey? 

It made a big difference on my back once I was able to get away from the idea that I had to move the whole box.

When doing hive inspections, I have an empty 10 frame box on the table to transfer the frames to.  I set the empty box on the one that is now full and then start unloading the bottom deep, until I'm through.  Once finished, I reverse the order.  The bees may be a little confused by all of this when I'm done, but I can still walk upright.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 06:51:33 pm »
FWIW: I would add a queen rather than do a walk away split. You are farther north and getting a virgin properly mated might be a problem at this time?
I would ask if your beekeeping goal for 2018 includes honey or rebuilding?  That will tell you whether to put a super on or do a split.  7 out of 10 frames in a lot of brood.  Check weekly for queen cells.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 08:12:13 pm »
WM, If I did do your transfer method I think I would stick with 8 frames.  Don't know what there is about ten frames, they kind of overwhelm me.   I will think about your suggestion, it is a good idea. Thank you.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 08:43:42 pm »
Swarms are a beautiful thing to behold, and even though it is a bitter sweet thing to watch your bees potentially leave, it is something every keep should experience at least once. To stand there with your arms open wide in middle of thousands of bees swirling around and knowing that you are relatively safe is amazing.  I usually pop off my veil to enhance the experience.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
Awww geesh Perry now you have me changing my mind!   :laugh: :laugh:

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2018, 10:50:20 pm »
les,
what perry and ted said....split buy a queen, quicker way to get a new split started and if the bees don't accept her, you know right away. with a walkaway too much time passes and imho, walkaways sometimes don't produce very good queens.

or you could let them swarm............. :D :D :laugh:
but ya got to be present to see it!  do you have a deer cam that does video?......... :D

also what wm said about using an extra box to transfer frames. i use 9 frames in deep langstroths, but the weight is getting to be an issue.
hmmm.........the weight of the boxes.......not my age..... :D :D :laugh:
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Some Day

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 02:20:23 am »
I would buy two queens.  I would then split into three 5 frame nucs.  I would take a frame of honey, one of pollen and three frames of brood and their bees and add a queen for each of the two new nucs.  I would also leave the old queen with one frame of brood and four frames of foundation in the original nuc location.  This nuc will have all of the flying work force and will rebound quickly while drawing out the new foundation.  Assuming that you have a flow going on right now you would not have to feed.  In four weeks I would super the nucs with another 5 frame nuc.

Just my opinion, take it for what it is worth.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2018, 03:12:28 pm »
Got lucky and found northern queens from a reputable beek.  So I split the main NUC into two other NUCS, waited 24 hours and moved in the new queens.  Released them today and the girls accepted them.....did not see any aggressive behavior towards her.  Fingers crossed that the NUCS thrive. 

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2018, 05:48:53 pm »
Depending on what you are wanting to do.  I always split and let them raise a queen  to keep the genetics of the hive in place. 
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter