Author Topic: The Swarm That Left  (Read 3924 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
The Swarm That Left
« on: June 17, 2018, 06:50:59 pm »
After removing a swarm from a chimney (with a vacuum), we left them screened in an eight frame deep for the night at the site where we got them.  We did not know if we got the queen. Came back the next day very early and brought them home.  Took off the screening and placed several branches in front of the hive.  That morning I watched them make orientation flights.  Later in the day I popped the lid to add some sugar syrup and they were gone!  Should we have left them screened in longer?  I felt so bad because my hubby worked so hard up on the roof to get them!!  Never again are we doing a roof swarm call!

Offline Some Day

Re: The Swarm That Left
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:05:10 pm »
Did you place a frame of open brood from another hive in the swarm box?  That will often anchor them to the new hive.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 08:05:04 pm »
Hi Les, I've had this work every time except once, and they left the queen behind. I put together my box like this, going up:

Bottom board, metal queen excluder, deep or medium box, frames including a frame of brood, lid. Leave all intact for 4-5 days, then remove queen excluder. The bees can come and go but the queen can't get out the front entrance.

Bummer that the bees left after all that work!  :'(
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:35:29 am »
I have had swarms leave.  Its why we should charge to remove.  When I hive a swarm I try to use at least one frame of drawn comb and put a feeder on immediately in the smallest box that is cozy but not over crowded. (to much room they will be more likely to leave)  If I have a frame of brood in different stages I will add to the hive.  The above helps to anchor them in the new home.  Once I have them in the hive I will block the front entrance with grass. They will remove the grass in a couple days if not sooner to make a small door to go and come.  I have had very good luck with this method.  The more reasons you can give them to stay the better your odds of them making a home.  Think about it in a human way.  If you was placed in a large house with no food, furniture clothing, appliances  etc would you be as inclined to stay as opposed to being placed in a home with everything you need.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 10:00:14 am »
Thanks for posting, Les.  That's heartbreaking.  It's good to hear about the losses on occasion.  I think we tend to learn more from the losses.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 11:01:00 am »
Aaah, learned something new.  I gave them frames of old drawn out comb but did not add a frame of brood.  Darn, that makes perfect sense.  Thanks everyone for sharing your methods, I knew I could count on you all!  I will be better prepared next time.  At least I hope there is a next time!

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:13:52 am »
Brood is a good anchor.  If you know that you have the queen, a day or two with a queen excluder between the bottom board and brood chamber is also good insurance.  I have gotten reports from a good friend that feeding caspian solution also seems to help lock them in.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

The following users thanked this post: CBT

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:33:17 am »
I have gotten reports from a good friend that feeding caspian solution also seems to help lock them in.
Robo, I am not familiar with caspian solution.  What is that?  I googled caspian and all I got was a rock band from Massachusetts.  :D

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 07:19:58 am »
It is a royal jelly stimulant.   I have to say even though the claims may seem far out,  I have been extremely impressed with the stuff.   The guy is legit, in fact Dave Miksa is a believer as well and now sells caspian queens.

http://www.caspianapiaries.com/index.php

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2018, 12:45:48 pm »
Hiya Riverrat   :)

'In the smallest box that is cozy but not over crowded'

Agreed here, it took me a season or two or three to figure it out. Cozy is good. The bees like to be close together.

'Block the front entrance with grass. They will remove the grass in a couple days if not sooner to make a small door to go and come'

When you do a split, do you keep that split in your yard with the rest of your hives, and use the grass method as well? Reason I'm asking is that I don't have another place to transport a split for a couple of day. So I do the split, add sticks or pebbles to the front just enough to get the bees attention the next day when they leave... then they reorient. However still, many of them go back to the original hive.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2018, 11:16:15 am »
It is a royal jelly stimulant.   I have to say even though the claims may seem far out,  I have been extremely impressed with the stuff.   The guy is legit, in fact Dave Miksa is a believer as well and now sells caspian queens.

http://www.caspianapiaries.com/index.php

Wow! Robo.  They make a lot of claims.  I don't see a price list or how to order.  Do you send them an email for pricing?

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2018, 01:06:36 pm »