Author Topic: Honey Harvest 2018 Over  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Honey Harvest 2018 Over
« on: August 04, 2018, 10:46:06 am »
Sometimes the best laid plans don't turn out as you expect.  We (family) get 'er done in one day.  I had made all these plans with a  new capping tank, new capping plane, lots of buckets, and made bucket shims so that we could fill the buckets to capacity. We got off to a slow start then the extractor became an issue.  I thought my inexpensive Chinese extractor had another year in it, but I didn't foresee the gears wearing down and the handle breaking off.  With a quick trip to Harbor Freight to get a heavy duty drill (which isn't all that heavy duty) my brother in law was able to use the drill to spin the gears.  It was all that drill could do and it over heated a couple of times.  With close monitoring by my brother in law, we made it through 13 supers.  Long day, achy backs,muscles, and joints, and the kitchen is almost back to normal.  I keep finding sticky spots!  My husband says I mellified the house.
I think I need a honey house!  and a new extractor.   :D

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Honey Harvest 2018 Over
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 12:23:05 pm »
Glad you got it done!  Plenty of time to make strategies for next year.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 12:50:50 pm »
Love your story Baker, best laid plans in the bee world always get me by the tail. One thing I have learned the hard way is, when I think: " I'll just peek in this hive for about 5 minutes....."

May I ask  how many gallons of honey you got this season?

:D :D :D  "Mellified man, or human mummy confection, was a legendary medicinal substance created by steeping a human cadaver in honey. The concoction is mentioned only in Chinese medical sources, most significantly the Bencao Gangmu of the 16th-century Chinese medical doctor and pharmacologist Li Shizhen."
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »
One thing I have learned the hard way is, when I think: " I'll just peek in this hive for about 5 minutes....."

May I ask  how many gallons of honey you got this season?

Famous last words.
Gallons?  Interesting.  The moisture content was very low this year.  We are in an extreme drought here.  So the volume seemed down slightly.  I may be totally off base, but that's the way it seemed.  Some supers were unbelievably heavy, others not.  I got about 275 pounds. 

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 03:16:46 pm »
Congradulations on another successful honey harvest!  When things go contrary to the way I think they should I often think of Homer's "The Odyssey".  Just think, if after the battle of Troy, Odysseus just went home, we wouldn't be reading The Odyssey all these many, many years later.  It's the trials and tribulations that make the story.  Good on you and your family!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 12:11:28 pm »
Good one Ted... And then there is Murphy  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom