Author Topic: High Fructose Corn Syrup  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
High Fructose Corn Syrup
« on: December 06, 2018, 03:36:25 pm »
A few years back we had a good thread on high fructose corn syrup and the affect it has on the bee gut. I just brought home a box of winter patties from Mann Lake and checked the ingredients.

Sugar, high fruc corn syr, preservative, plant protein products.

I remember that high fruc corn syr was being considered for part of the reason for colony calapse disorder, in that it may upset the bees gut, and even lead to nosema.

What is the skinny nowa days on feeding bees high fruc corn syr?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:50:24 pm »
It is fine unless it becomes heated for an extended time. Then it changes composition and becomes a problem. I don't know the details. Maybe Apis or Tec can explain better.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:38:50 pm »
Overheating or repeat heating of high fructose corn syrup produces hydroxymethylfurfural (HMF) which is toxic to bees.  It causes the syrup to turn brownish.  I'm sure the folks who made the patties are aware of this and used the nice clear stuff to make the product.  I wouldn't be concerned.  HMF is my main reason for feeding sucrose syrup versus corn syrup.  However, I do add citric acid to break down (invert) the sucrose into glucose and fructose because bees can't use sucrose directly--they have to convert it to glucose and fructose using themselves so doing it for them helps the bees get the most out of the syrup.  I am careful to not reheat any left over syrup but the inverted syrup is less viscous and it pumps very well even when cool
Chip

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 07:07:47 am »
often repeated 'caged studies' shows high fructose corn syrup to be a less effective feed than either sucrose or honey.  any of these items can be made worse by overheating or age.  at the scale most folks here use any of these items I would not worry so much.  long term use or use in bulk is another matter < it should be noted that some large beekeepers do have a tendency to buy things in large volume at super discounted prices (who out there can pass by a real deal?)... and that is generally where these sorts of problems have their origin.