Author Topic: Photo of DIY Wasp trap?  (Read 2322 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Photo of DIY Wasp trap?
« on: December 21, 2018, 12:11:11 am »
I recall seeing someone's do it yourself wasp trap a while back, but can't find it anymore.

We're being plagued by red wasps and a few yellow jackets.  The commercial stuff has only attracted gnats and moths, so I'm looking for a better solution, both in terms of a contraption and the solution that goes into the contraption.

Thanks.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Photo of DIY Wasp trap?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 01:17:31 am »
WM,

I have had good results with a simple trap I use. I mostly use it for yellow jackets but red wasps and hornets get caught also.

Take a soda bottle, 2 liter or 3 liter, cut the top off at the point where it starts to narrow. Fill about a quarter full with 2-1 sugar syrup. Add a piece of meat. Don't use hot dogs, baloney or anything with preservatives in it-you want it to rot. Place the top without the cap upside down in the bottle.

If you think your honey bees will bother it, cover it up until the meat starts to rot and smell. Once the meat is nasty and stinky it will repel honey bees. Then uncover it and the wasps will come, go inside and get confused on how to get out, eventually drowning in the syrup.

When all I want is yellow jackets, I don't cut the neck off.  I just drill 5/16" holes at the base of the neck and leave the cap on. Killed thousands last fall like that. 

Hope this is useful. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 04:38:06 am »
WM, I think I know the thread you are referring to.  I haven't found it yet.  I remember posting this You Tube video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FhifTGKtUQ 
The video reviews various traps.  The most successful involves raw chicken dangling over water.  At certain stages of a YJ's life cycle, they require protein.  I am not sure if that coincides with the time they are robbing and killing honey bees. 
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 09:42:52 am »
That video is amazing. This is the third time I’ve used the WHY trap with very little response.

I’ve seen 1 or 2 yellow jackets around the hives, but the biggest problem is the red wasps (hornets?). I’ve killed several inside the hives.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people