Author Topic: How did you choose your screen name?  (Read 97486 times)

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
Re: How did you choose your screen name?
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 08:40:43 am »
I think that I may have posted this before, and if I did, just remember that I am almost 76 years old and cut me some slack.

The one thing that I have done all of my life is shooting sports.  To this day, I shoot bolt action varmint rifles, skeet and trap with scatter guns, bulls eye pistol and my favorite, black powder cartridge rifles (think Quigley).  I was on a division rifle team in the US Army and was shipped to Viet Nam to refresh and teach marksmanship to snipers.  Later on, as a civilian, I was shooting silhouettes at a local competition, when a local sheriff and some of his deputies asked would I shoot on their rifle team.  They went on to tell me their scheduled practice days.  I told them I would shoot matches with them, but that I was way too busy to practice.  At that point, one of the deputies interjected: "what are you a lazy shooter?"  The name stuck in shooting circles.  I do consider myself somewhat lazy and a consummate, long term shooter, so being honest, I am a lazy shooter.  (lazy shooter)

lazy

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 08:47:01 am »
Back in the day I spent more time on the Rivers than I did anywhere else. I had built an airboat along with several friends and we would run the Arkansas river all the time.   Well one day we all took the boats out. The wife was in a rotten mood but went along anyhow.  As I came up on the bridge coming into town the boat caught the wake of the boat in front of us throwing us head on into the bridge pillar totaling the boat. skinned, bruised, and cutup.  We towed  the boat a couple 100 yards back to the boat ramp along with the wife harping on me about trying to off her.  When we got to the boat ramp an old timer who I had known forever and was a bit salty. Was watching it all said "You aint much of a Riverrat if you would total a boat to off the wife" The name stuck amongst the guys and I was know as riverrat from that point on in the group.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 02:58:41 pm »
Soooo Theo.... lives in a house of a 'wife offer'  :o
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2015, 03:07:26 pm »
My Dads side of the family used to live on a island (Harrison Island) in the middle of the Tennessee river near Loudon, they were called river rats and to my understanding were just as mean. TVA bought them out when Fort Loudon dam was built, but they leased the island back for several years to farm it.

oopps did not mean to stray off topic!
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 11:58:11 am »
My screen name steps back to the days of BBS', then CompuServe, then a local BBS, then on to AOL.  I think, for the most, mine is pretty self-explanatory  Captain Obvious.  I started as CptObvious.  Unfortunately, by time I set myself up with AOL, CptObvious was already taken... so I switched it to CpnObvious.  I've had a few various "surnames" added to it, such as CpnObvious_MoD (Master of Disguise) or for a while I was in an interesting group that called (Masters Of Destruction), though we weren't really all that "bad"... but in the end, CpnObvious is pretty clear and is what stuck.  I suppose it also gives a reader the initial impression that I may, or may not, be somewhat of a sarcastic person.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 02:11:13 pm »
I will try to replicate my answer that I posted before the big crash of 2015.  :'(
I have worked as a lead cook and baker at a children's home for the last 22 years.  My philosophy has always been to give it my best, try to make it fun and always give a little extra.  Hence the name Bakersdozen.
Jack asked me if I was superstitious about the number 13.  I never thought of it in those terms and always found Friday the 13th to be a good day for me.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 03:22:00 pm »
Baker, It would have been a real loss if you hadn't reconstructed your answer, glad you did.
My whole story wasn't such a "jewel" so I'll merely say that my screen name is a combination of parts from my first name and my family name, and it was selected in the early days of the internet (alias the World Wide Web or WWW) so that it would be unique to me.

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 09:00:11 pm »
My screen name steps back to the days of BBS', then CompuServe, then a local BBS, then on to AOL.  I think, for the most, mine is pretty self-explanatory  Captain Obvious.  I started as CptObvious.  Unfortunately, by time I set myself up with AOL, CptObvious was already taken... so I switched it to CpnObvious.  I've had a few various "surnames" added to it, such as CpnObvious_MoD (Master of Disguise) or for a while I was in an interesting group that called (Masters Of Destruction), though we weren't really all that "bad"... but in the end, CpnObvious is pretty clear and is what stuck.  I suppose it also gives a reader the initial impression that I may, or may not, be somewhat of a sarcastic person.

My wife wrote software for TOS at AOL for a while.  I got to meet Steve Case at a Christmas party one year.  Things sure have changed since then!
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 09:16:06 pm »
I connect to the internet via 26.4 kbs dialup.   :'(
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:44 pm »
I will try to replicate my answer that I posted before the big crash of 2015.

HAHAHAH!  A date, that will live, in INFAMY!!

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 09:48:27 am »
No!  No, no, no.  Not going THERE again!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 11:54:50 am »
My favorite college sports team is the Pudue Boilermakers, which is located just across the Wabash River. My first name being Jim.........is how I came up with Boiler Jim.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 09:07:07 pm »

Awww....  the THEO post was a casualty of the big 2015 crash?    :'(

I'd re post what I remember, but JUST cant risk angering my favorite hive painter Teddy Bear, AKA Theo.      :laugh:

*Sponsor*

Offline LadyyTay

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 01:47:20 am »

Now, Theo...are you sure you don't want to tell your story again?   :laugh:

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 08:49:20 am »
AAAAHH, come on back Teddy Bear. :D Jack

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2015, 09:27:16 am »
I'm always kinda surprised when I meet people named Ted.  I often wonder if they are called Teddy Bear by THEIR family and friends? Maybe, maybe not.  If so, I see them more as "closet Teddy Bears", "faux bears" as it were.  It really doesn't count until you ride your bicycle to the store, wearing Lycra bike shorts and a cut off t-shirt, to purchase a feather duster.  Standing in line, with the only feather duster they have which is HOT PINK, while 4 or 5 big Texan he-men type get in line behind you who are purchasing shot guns and boxes of high caliber ammunition.  What could possibly make this worse you ask?  Well, brother Tommy, also wearing Lycra, yells from across the store, "Hey Teddy bear!",  runs up and gives me a big kiss right on the lips.  Now, my brothers and I have been through a lot together, and we love each other dearly, so to be kissed, yes, on the lips really isn't that unusual.  For us.  The big Texans?  I'm thinking they saw it as out of the norm.  I was terribly concerned that brother and I would die that day, fighting the good fight, together, but die none the less.  Yes, I see myself as a REAL Teddy Bear.

Other than that?  Ya'll are just MEAN!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2015, 10:36:18 am »
I'm sorry Ted, the Squirt made me become mean. :sad: Jack

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2015, 11:06:20 am »
You're forgiven Jack.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2015, 02:16:58 pm »
 Just took my initial of my name and added bee to it.

Ken

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2015, 06:54:23 pm »
LOL.. couldnt help myself Ted......       And when you stopped by the shop what name did I call you by?  TED
     No, just because you were CLOSE and could leave LUMPS on my head is NOT why I called you TED, instead of those other names... 

well, OK, maybe a little bit of the reason.....       ;D

*Sponsor*