Author Topic: Come to Kansas! Don't miss this!  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Come to Kansas! Don't miss this!
« on: February 24, 2018, 08:38:27 pm »
Northeast KS Beekeepers Association is hosting an educational event Saturday, June 2, 2018.  The event will be held at the Douglas County Fairgrounds in Lawrence, KS.  Guest lecturers will be Dr. Marla Spivak, University of Minnesota, Dr. Chip Taylor, University of Kansas, Dr. Gard Otis, University of Guelph, Dr. David Roubik, entomologist at the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute in Panama, Dr. Mark Winston, author of Bee Time: Lessons from the Hive, Dr. Jose Villa, retired entomologist from the US Dept of Agriculture's Honey bee breeding and Physiology Research Station in Baton Rouge, LA, Dr. Judy Wu-Smart, Extension and Research entomologist with the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Dept. of Entomology.
Folks, that's 8 prominent researchers at a one day event! 
To learn more, go to http://www.nekba.org/bee-funday.html
The club has kept the cost as low as possible.  The cost is $50 if paid in advance, $60 at the door, children are at a reduced rate depending on age.  The fee includes lunch and snacks and homemade honey ice cream.  They will not be making any profits from this event.  This is a one of a kind opportunity at this cost.
P.S.  There are plenty of decent hotels in Lawrence, but no Best Western's.   :laugh:
There is plenty of room for travel trailers at the fairgrounds.  I am not sure if overnight parking is allowed, but I could find out if anyone was interested.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Come to Kansas! Don't miss this!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:27:45 pm »
What a great event! The learning will be invaluable. I will just be back home from a vacation including a flight, so I won't be able to make it. It sounds like fun tho!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
Wow what an allstar line up.  I have heard Chip talk several times and spoke with him on the phone on several occasions very nice guy.  I had the opportunity to set down to lunch with Chip, DR Rudolf Jander  the last Doctoral student of Dr Karl Von Frisch.   and Dr Debra Smith there was some interesting conversation over the lunch along with the mead.  Great one on one time.
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:38:34 pm »
thanks bakers! awesome speakers! thanks for the link and details!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 05:43:14 am »
  I had the opportunity to set down to lunch with Chip, DR Rudolf Jander  the last Doctoral student of Dr Karl Von Frisch.   and Dr Debra Smith there was some interesting conversation over the lunch along with the mead.  Great one on one time.
I forgot to mention that there will be a dinner, on the fairgrounds, after the day.  We are working on a farm-to-table meal with a local chef.  The guest speakers will be included and diners limited to 150.  I believe that alcohol will be permitted, but as this is Kansas, I am not sure of those details ie; BYOB, cash bar, beer only.  This will be a great  opportunity for those participating to get to talk with the guest speakers. The dinner will be an extra charge for those wanting to attend.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 07:56:14 pm »
For those with RVs wanting to hook up, the Douglas County Fairgrounds has electricity and a dump station available.  No water.  The cost is $15 a day.  Those arriving on Friday night, attending the event on Saturday, then leaving on Sunday would be charged $45.
For those who don't like to rough it, there is a brand new Country Inn just opened nearby that is very handy.  It's no more than 5-10 minutes away.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 10:13:24 am »
Reminder:  this event is coming up.  I originally posted the costs wrong.  $55 in advance, $65 at the door.  The cost alone is worth enjoying homemade honey ice cream right after coming in from the swarm demo.  Complete details can be found here:  http://www.nekba.org/bee-funday.html
The speakers include Dr. Marla Spivak, Dr. Mark Winston, Dr. Gard Otis, Dr. Dave Roubik, Dr. Judy Wu-Smart, Dr. Marion Ellis, Dr. Chip Taylor, and Dr. Jose Villa.  (This kind of reminds me of that scene from that Chevy Chase movie, Spies Like Us.  "Doctor" "Doctor" "Doctor" "Doctor" etc.)  :laugh:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:08:29 am »
Funday is this Saturday.   8)  I bet it is going to be hot and humid.  Good thing everything is inside in the air conditioning except for swarm demo and classes out at the hives.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 10:51:00 pm »
Sounds like an exciting event, wish I could attend but life happens................

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 08:42:12 am »
This was a great day, yesterday!  There were beekeepers from Iowa, Missouri, Nebraska, and from all parts of Kansas. The weather cooperated and it wasn't too beastly hot or humid.  I picked up some good information from listening to Marla Spivak about U of Minn research into propolis and hygienic  behavior.  Gard Otis was an entertaining speaker.  He spoke on his adventures in Vietnam working with beekeepers and his efforts to make them more profitable.  Dr. Jose Villa spoke about varroa mites.  Dr. Judy Wu-Smart lectured on how to read a frame of comb and how to interpret what you are seeing.  Later she spoke on diseases.  There was a naturalist speaking on easy ways to bring nature back into your yards.  I had a great time talking to other beekeepers, mostly about what's in bloom and the strange weather.
The following users thanked this post: riverbee

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 09:13:10 am »

Marla Spivak

How to inspect a hive.

Attendees at the hives.

Serving homemade honey ice cream.

Silent Auction fundraiser for youth and veteran scholarships.

These are just a few pictures of the day.