Beekeeping > Other Pollinators

Leave your garden messy

(1/2) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I will add this to the "Learn something new everyday category".  I thought I would share.  In a facebook posting, by Prairie Moon Nursery, entitled "Got Stems?", I learned that native bees lay eggs in the stems of native flowers.   :o  Gardeners should leave their natives in place through the winter, not only for the birds but the bees as well.  I always leave my messy stems up through March (sometimes later) for the birds.  I would think they need to stay in place until the native bees start to emerge.  I am not sure when that is in my area. This calls for more research.
Here's to a messy garden! :occasion14: 

Gypsi:
In my area wild mason bees hatch in late April early May

Perry:

--- Quote from: Bakersdozen on February 04, 2016, 09:40:44 am ---Here's to a messy garden! :occasion14: 

--- End quote ---

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think a lot of folks would raise a glass to that! :D

Jen:
My mom raised us kids to have the yard spic and span at all times and especially before winter set in. That's been a hard rule for me to break. But this year Iddee (I think) posted this conversation with God about how we are supposed to leave the leaves on the ground over the winter, so the nutrients replenish the earth. Now, I always known this, but this last Fall season, that post with God and leaving the Fall mess helped me walk away from raking up and pruning the yard until Spring  ;D

Gypsi:
I have a very messy garden. I have wildflowers in the broccoli and cabbage patch and onions in the sweetpotato bed and bermuda grass has taken over the asparagus bed and is working on the blackberries too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version