Author Topic: After Setting Trapout  (Read 3070 times)

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
After Setting Trapout
« on: March 16, 2014, 09:17:28 am »

After Setting Trapout

Once the trap is set and all entrances are thought to be closed, I try to spend from 1 to 3 hours with the homeowner. Explaining bees, traps, what they should do and some things that may be a problem. I try to teach them enough that they will check the trap and call me 2 or 3 times weekly. The assistance from the homeowner can vary from nil to doing everything you ask and some have even bought the hive when I finished.

Either by returning myself, or from the homeowner, I want an update on the trap the day after the set up, then once or twice weekly thereafter. I am looking for a mass exodus, where the cone is packed with bees trying to exit all at once, and are getting out, not a blocked cone, or a full day with no bees leaving. If the latter, it means we missed seeing the first. When either happens, I wait 3 or 4 days, then remove the cone. I will explain to the homeowner that they will see many bees returning to the house, but they are only robbing the honey out. Call me when they do not see a be go in the house for a full day. I will then check it myself by observing flight for an hour or more. If the bees are traveling to and from the field, with no action at all in the house entrance, I will seal the entrance and remove the new hive.

If at any time, the catch box has 7 or more frames of caught adult bees, I will remove it and install another, either with a queen cell from the first one, or another frame with eggs. I have gotten as many as 4 hives and a nuc from one trap.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!!

This will be the last post in my series. I'm sure I have left out many things that need to be said, so I will answer any questions anyone may ask, if it is within my experience. I will also add posts, or modify these, if and when I think of things I have left out.

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Springtide

Offline tmrschessie

Re: After Setting Trapout
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »
Great series of posts.

Here is my current situation. An old structure and a new one form a 90 degree corner. The bees are going in right at that juncture. I am having a heck of a time sealing them out. The bees are continually finding or making new entrances. I have used silicone and great stuff to the extreme. The home owner and I have decided to make this a cut out vice a trap out. The weather this spring has killed a lot of bees while trying to get back in. I will try to get a photo of this situation next trip up there. Tom