Author Topic: M.A.Q. question  (Read 2496 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
M.A.Q. question
« on: February 28, 2018, 05:08:31 pm »
 this question is for those who have use M.A.Q. strips in the last couple years. 7 years ago I used M.A.Q. strips & lost more than 1/2 of my queens. I heard similar results from a lot of local & online beekeepers. since then they have reformulated their strips. so those of you who are currently using them are not seeing these results? i'm currently using apiguard & have had good results with it. I did have one hive apscond the day after I put it in the hive last year though. I would like to another option so I can rotate treatments. i'm also considering apivar.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: M.A.Q. question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 09:57:28 pm »
I wonder if the wrapping is what was changed. I’ve been warned not to use out of date MAQS because the acid gets released too quickly. I see they now sell the product with a new name and longer shelf life.

p.s. anyone wanna buy 6 MAQS that are 8 months past expiration?
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 06:10:33 am »
rober, I used MAQS last year.  I buy them from a local guy so that I don't have to pay shipping.  I noticed that they were very messy, for lack of a better word.  It has been a few years since I had used them.  I try to rotate my mite treatments.  The previous year I used Apiguard.  The year before that I did OA drip. I didn't know they had changed MAQS.
I did lose one queen out of 6 colonies.  I don't know that I can say MAQS were the cause.  I wasn't in a position to do regular hive inspections.  Perhaps it was just her time.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 08:57:35 am »
I hate using any of these chemicals but I hate losing colonies more. I sent samples from the 3 colonies I've lost so far this winter to the usda lab. one had 25 mites per 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the MAQ pads did leave a messy residue when I used them. I also don't like the fact that it has such a short shelf life. I keep the bulk tub of apiguard in a sealed plastic bag. it may lose some potency over time but does not become lethal.   

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 05:37:12 am »
one had 25 mites per 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YIKES!!
Can you give us details about the lab?  Name, address, cost, etc?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 09:33:45 am »
the usda has a honeybee research lab in Beltsville md & in baton rouge la. the Maryland lab will check bees for tracheal mites, varrora mites, & nosema for free. their budget was cut last year so testing was suspended but they are back up & running for now. instructions for submitting are on the website. here's the link.
https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md/beltsville-agricultural-research-center/bee-research-laboratory/docs/bee-disease-diagnosis-service/
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 08:39:53 pm »
I've used MAQS in the fall for 4 years now, with no treatment at all in the spring of any kind. I have lost a couple of hives each year that "may" have been a result of high temps spikes during treatment but over all I'm very satisfied. I have definitely seen brood breaks in some hives during the week of treatment but the queens start up shortly after in those ones.
I will be using Oxalic vapour this spring, first spring treatment ever for me. I bought one of those Provap 110's and hope to set the mites back in the spring to allow the brood production curve to get a bigger head start on the mites.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter