Beekeeping > TBH, Warre, and Other Alternative Hives

Square Hives

(1/2) > >>

Newbee:
Has anyone ever worked w/ square hives?

I'm looking at building my own, and believe I want to build all medium-sized Langstroth style hives. They have a rectangular shape… however I've read a few online posts about folks building them square, and setting in 11-13 frames vs. the typical 8-10?

THanks.

- K

apisbees:
The bees are not near as fussy or opinionated as the beekeepers that keep them. That being said bees can be content in any type and size of hive but depending on hive type and configuration the management of said hive may need to be modified. For a new beekeeper with little experience and relying on the advice of others asking questions about bees when they are in a hive setup that few are familiar with could lead to receiving bad advice. If the beekeeping adventure doesn't work out and you need to sell or are offered a good deal on equiptment, standard size equiptment will be easier to sell. Some hive components that you may need to purchase like queen excluders are only available in standard hive sizes. In the end it is up to you but for me it's standard Langstroth size hive.

Perry:
Apis has just given out an incredibly worthwhile post. :yes:

riverbee:
what apis said!!!  ............. :yes:

LazyBkpr:

--- Quote from: Perry on February 25, 2015, 05:29:19 pm ---Apis has just given out an incredibly worthwhile post. :yes:

--- End quote ---
   Agreed here too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version