Author Topic: 76% of US honey fake?  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
Cheers, Bill

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: 76% of US honey fake?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 09:40:14 am »
The words "natural", "organic", "raw", etc. are all open to interpretation.
Raw is one that gets me. What is raw? Here is the interpretation in the article:
"Well, a problem with raw honey is that it means one thing: it isn’t heated past pasteurization".
To me, raw means what comes out of the extractor - period. Pollen, propolis, bee legs and wings, you name it. That's raw. Most folks that ask for raw honey don't particularly want that so now it has to be "strained", or "filtered".
Some folks don't want honey that has been "heated", but again, the question is how much heat. If you don't heat honey to some degree it can be impossible to strain or filter. I personally am OK with heating honey up to what you would find in the hive naturally. During the heat of the summer I venture that there are plenty of days where temps come close to 100 F. Down in Nugget Shooter's neck-o-the woods I have seen him post temps near 115 F! :o
The other word that has no real definition is "Natural". Honey is honey, if anything has been added it is no longer honey IMHO.
This is one of those gotcha things.
As far as honey that has been filtered to the point of not being able to identify its origin, there is a reason for that being done,
and it ain't good.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: 76% of US honey fake?
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 11:33:24 am »
Don't forget ORGANIC... If you have hives on an island that you OWN and there are no other people there you might well be capable of getting organic honey...   Bees can cover a lot of ground and visit a lot of plants in that area. Not to mention that the chain stores sell flowers treated with neonics..   There are very few places capable of saying their honey is Organic.

Natural...  I can go along with that, but agree that the scope of the word is all encompassing.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*