Author Topic: Toby's pickles  (Read 12951 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Toby's pickles
« on: July 18, 2014, 05:33:44 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I couldn't decide if this should go in the preserving section or the recipe section of the forum.  I made an executive decision and here it is.  If it should be moved I hope someone will do so.  Also, I know there was a thread asking about pickle recipes maybe it should go there.  But, these are that good.

I think this recipe originated with my sister-in-laws family.  I got the recipe from my brother Toby, hence the name.  I will say that for me this is far and away THE BEST DILL PICKLE I've ever eaten.  Tastes do vary so....

Brine: 13 cups water, 6 cups dark apple cider vinegar, 1/2 cup canning salt.

Ingredients that go in each clean and sterile quart jar: 1 tooth garlic, 1/8 tsp alum, 1 tsp sugar, 1 dry red chili, 1 large sprig dill.  If you like garlic add more, if you like spicy add more dry peppers, if you like dill...you got it!  I know you shouldn't mess with recipes when it comes to canning but these additions will not effect the overall acidity.

Pick and clean cucumbers.
Add ingredients to clean and sterile quart jars   
Bring brine to a boil.
Stuff jars with freshly picked and cleaned cucumbers.  Fill jars with boiling hot brine leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Wipe jar rim, and seal using a hot, sterile lid.
Sit back and listen for that beautiful sound of popping lids.
Yeah man, it's that easy!

People seem to like the crispy dills, so do I.  I think the variety of cucumber you grow is important as far as crispiness (I use "Double Yield") and you probably have one that works for you.  The other thing I've found is the cukes need to be FRESHLY PICKED.  The cucumbers I pick today and can tomorrow will be much less crunchy than the cucumbers I pick today, clean, and can today!  Picking in the morning and canning at night also resulted in less crunchy pickles.  Just sayin.  Also, the cucumbers that got a little big are not as crunchy as the smaller cucumbers. I've found that the cukes that got too big make good hamburger pickles if you slice them up. 

That last paragraph is just what I've found to be true for me.  Maybe your experience is different, which makes us both right!

Anyway, I hope you like the pickles as much as we do!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Toby's pickles
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »
Have to remember to write that down and give it a try..  Next year....  still have 17 jars of pickles left from last year...   Thanks Ted!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
Printed it. Wife will be trying it. Thanks... Sounds good.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline mamapoppybee

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 04:49:54 pm »
Ty for posting iv been looking for a good crispy dill recipe.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 07:08:31 pm »
Stuff jars with freshly picked and cleaned cucumbers.  Fill jars with boiling hot brine leaving 1/2 inch head space.  Wipe jar rim, and seal using a hot, sterile lid.

So the pickles I made I processed for ten minutes in boiling water as per the instructions.. they are fantastic tasting, but are FAR from crunchy...     They actually work VERY well on burgers and for tartar sauce etc, but like you I prefer a crunchy dill when I want to eat a pickle..     I will try the hot brine without the processing time and see how that goes.

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:44:06 pm »
Lazy: I thought those pickles of yours were pretty darn good!

Last year I put up 90-95 quarts of Toby's pickles.  I've seen the kids and grand kids hauling them off by the case!  Who'd of thought two young (and petite) girls could carry a case of quart jars full of pickles out the basement and into the car?!  Kinda funny.  Anyway, I still have 30 or 40 quarts left (not growing cukes this year!) and I've noticed that the longer you have them the spicier they get.  The dried red chili's aren't just for looks!  Fair warning.

Also, if you put them in the fridge they seem to get a crunchier thing going.  Maybe my imagination.  Might be I just like them cold.

Lazy:  If I think of it I'll bring a quart or two so you can try them out before you commit.   Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 02:37:01 pm »
I love spicy pickles, but spicy pickles dont love me...   I intend to try it without the peppers!!  I figured it would save me about three days of heartburn every time I eat them.   ;D

*Sponsor*

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2015, 06:08:12 pm »
First batch of pickles for 2015.  I didn't get right on to picking cukes so had to toss a couple dozen monsters.  The larger cukes I kept will be fine for sandwich slices.

Man!  How does that happen?  It WAS upright when I downloaded it, but, not so much now.  Riverbee?  Could ya hep me out again?  Thanks, Ted

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 06:24:08 pm »
I Dunno Ted, Just Not Feelin' It.... You're gonna have to send me a jar of those pickles so I can decide for myself, and don't tell the postman that there is liquid in the package...

I'm waiting, tic toc tic toc

;) :D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 06:47:43 pm »
"Man!  How does that happen?  It WAS upright when I downloaded it, but, not so much now.  Riverbee?  Could ya hep me out again?  Thanks, Ted"

yep, for TWO jars of those great looking pickles!.................... :D :D :D

those look great ted and i also printed off your recipe.  i love crunchy dills, we do a few jars spicy, cuz i love spice in mine.  we do have a recipe, yours looks similar, but i am not the master pickler, and the master pickler's recipe is a bit of a mess............. :D  i think he uses a certain cuke for the crunchy variety, unsure of what it is?, and the others as you said (when they get larger).

thanks for the recipe ted!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 08:50:31 pm »
No pickles this year. We have too many left from prior years. We do have 9 pints of corn in the pressure canner at the moment. Should be out in another 30 minutes.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline kingd

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2015, 05:59:35 am »
Gonna have to try them,They sound awesome!

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2015, 10:00:38 am »
I hear you Iddee. I've still got 10 quarts from 2 years ago but, I'm going to put up as many as I can this year so I won't have to make any next year.  Ted

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 01:23:26 pm »
I would like a pickle and cheese sammich please  :D

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 03:43:46 pm »
Keep it up Jen and you might find a jar of pickles in your mailbox!  8)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 12:01:45 am »
Siiiiiigh, woke up from a dream last night about grilled cheese and crunchy pickles... ???

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »
OK, so let me tell you about those pickles.. Ted brought some to the gathering, and I tried them...   WOW, i am seriously impressed!
   I like my dill pickles a lot....    the word EPIC comes to mind here...   So I talked to Ted, and he said he was going to come up and help extract today.. he brings a HUGE bundle of dill...   YAY!!!  I am excited to try making these pickels myself!!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 06:08:37 pm »
I will confess that I have never attempted to make pickles. Maybe I ought to give it a whirl  ;) 8)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2015, 06:54:23 pm »
Easiest thing you'll ever can Jen.  Give it a go.  Ted

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2015, 08:46:58 am »
Made 12 jars yesterday, now to give them a couple days and try them out.

*Sponsor*