Author Topic: No recipe, have question  (Read 11673 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
No recipe, have question
« on: September 14, 2014, 07:07:46 pm »
I have a question regarding chili recipes.  I was watching one of those tv shows on the food network.  The one where the guy in the vintage Camaro travels around the country watching Mom and Pop restaurants make their specialties.  I saw, and this was not the first time, someone make chili and not drain the grease off.  In with the raw hamburger went all the spices and chilies, beans, tomatoes and onions.  How does everyone else make chili?  Grease or no grease? 

Offline rcannon

Re: No recipe, have question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:10:22 pm »
I (she ) drains the grease. The only oil we knowingly injest anymore is olive oil.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 08:31:32 pm »
Drain the grease! Yuck...

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 08:34:26 pm »
We use all venison. No grease to drain.  :yes:   :yes:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bamabww

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 08:51:14 pm »
Drain the grease.
Wayne

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 09:02:38 pm »
I've always drained the greased in any recipe that makes grease. Like Iddee, I as well use venison, and if I use hamburger it 10% or 7% fat.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »
I grew up knowing it was a terrible waste to drain the grease off of anything!!   Grease makes gravy, Fat makes grease, and the FAT is the BEST part of the steak..... unless you like eating shoe leather...

I have turned down some VERY high dollar meals because they bragged that ONLY the finest and leanest meat was used...    ewww.....    I mix beef fat with my Venison.. Once in a while pork fat is substituted..  If none is available to eat venison steak It will still go down with a stick of Land O Lakes Sweet Cream butter....

My Cholesterol is LOW thanks for asking .. YES, it really TICKS OFF my wife....

I have learned to drain grease for everything, because it bothers my wifes innerds...    Hamburger helper just is not the same with no grease....
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 10:42:08 pm »
Well I sure don't mind eating some beef fat with my steak. What I really miss is frying up a couple of sunnyside up eggs in the bacon grease. Yah, my cholesterol is up too high, I won't go on medication so for the most part I watch what goes down the gullet  ;)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 12:52:48 am »
Oh yeah!  Or Pancakes fried in bacon grease.. I LOVE the crispy edges.

Remember the french fries cooked in REAL lard? or ANYTHING deep fried in real grease?

At  a Fish fry i had..  One of my friends told me that was the best fish he had eaten in MANY years. I asked how many years? Like, enough years through which the health food nuts demanded peanut oil etc?"
   He frowned at me...   "You know what? That is exactly it. You used real grease didnt you."

CRISCO BABY!

I do not want to die before I need to. I'd prefer to live forever, if I could be happy and healthy. But I also try to temper the good as much as I do the bad...
   "I quit smoking three or four years ago..   I quit Skoal about two weeks ago (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!)  But Some things I draw the line at..     I eat MEAT, and Potatoes..   Greens are the things you feed rabbits so you can EAT the rabbits..  I do NOT use steak sauce. If I wanted to taste steak sauce I would eat the steak sauce, WHY ruin a perfectly good steak? I can understand that you need to pour something all over lettuce to make it edible, but most MEAT has FLAVOR..  Marbling is what gives that meat its flavor. Marbling makes it tender, or tough..    When i eat a burger, I want the GREASE to run down my elbows!!   One day i may have to cut back on such things, but I will never remove them from my diet..   Take away ALL I love, and what is left?
   I MISS SMOKING!   I WANT my Skoal! But I do understand the risks and will now do without..   Try to take away my well marbled meat, or my RUM and your gonna have a FIGHT!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 01:30:54 am »
Ooooh kaaay! That's where you've been... detoxing! that figures, I don't like talking to anyone when I'm shutting myself off of something I love to indulge in... like sweets... that's my daily nemisis. Sugar is just as addicting as tobacco or alcohol. boooooo

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 11:04:38 am »
    CRISCO BABY!

:laugh:  AMEN!
Lazy, I have also seen those cooking shows where they are basting a steak with butter as it cooks.  Then they let it rest before serving (hold in the juices, I'm sure).

All this talk about chili!  So I made a pot last night using some excellent ground beef from a local producer.  I threw in some Andouille sausage, because I had it.  After browning the meat I only had about a tablespoon of fat in the bottom.  I left it and that was some pretty good chili.

My mother used to make the WORLD'S BEST  pie crust.  Crisco baby! She seldom makes a pie now :(

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 11:25:44 am »
venison, no grease, or beef purchased from a local farmer every year, very little grease, if any.  no draining.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 02:31:22 pm »

"I quit smoking three or four years ago..   I quit Skoal about two weeks ago (AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!) 

Good job! Lazy.  You can do it, especially since you quit the cigarettes.  Think of all the bee equipment you can buy with the money saved. :yes:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:07:43 pm »
I like a medium rare steak, so I have learned to let the steak sit for a minute, that way the juice stays in the steak and doesn't run all over the plate, but even if it does run onto the plate I have bread or potato's to sop it up. Mmmm mmmm mmmm

Just had venison salami stirred into my scrambled eggs this morning

I would definately leave a tablespoon of fat or more in chili

I do skim off the fat if I've made a pork roast, like the next day when you take it out of the fridge and the fat has solidified on top of the juice.

Soapbox: Juuust in case you don't know, when making a roasted chicken or pork roast, or some meat in the meat in the crockpot... and you put that pan of meat in the fridge overnight... and you see that gel like substance in the bottom of the pan... Eat That! or don't throw it out I should say... that is the calcium and glucosomine from the bones of the animal. It's really good for your bones. It's better than taking a calcium pill. Off Soapbox  :)

Gypsi

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 03:59:16 pm »
I not only eat that gel, when I am ready to toss the bones and other debris the gel stock from the roast or bird goes in a plastic cup in my freezer with what it is and a date taped on the side and a lid on it, otherwise known as soup stock

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 04:18:03 pm »
Perfect! Here's another idea. Heat that gel just until it is just dissolved... pour or strain the juice into a measuring cup... from the measuring cup pour into ice cube tray. Put in ice cube tray in the freezer. Each day take one gel ice cube, eat it, or heat it in small bowl until just warm and melted, drink it down. There is your calc and gluc for the day. So easy on the stomach

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »
calcium recipe 1:
GOT MILK?................ :D

calcium recipe 2:
step 1~purchase calcium/calcium citrate with vit d, magnesium in a convenient jar at local pharmacy.

step 2~get glass of water

step 3~unscrew the lid off the convenient jar, swallow one tablet (not the lid..... :D) with glass of water. 3 x dailey........ ;D

........................ :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 06:01:57 pm »
OUCH! That lid would go down pretty hard..   :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
Sure! Unless, you have a tender gut from chemotherapy, or Crones disease, or a bleeding ulser, or Celiac disease, or lactos intolerant (milk), or Aides, or ALS and the doc already has you on 15 to 30 pills a day for whatever...  and the gut doesn't have the enzymes to digest the hard as rock pills effectively.

Gel from bone goes into the stomach like food, it's soft not hard like a pill, which goes into the system immediately from the gut straight into the blood stream, bypassing the intestinal track where many pills just get pooped out.

Soapbox! This is the world I live in and the people I work with

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 06:24:22 pm »
"OUCH! That lid would go down pretty hard..   :laugh:"

oops....i stand corrected....... :P  naw, i don't swallow the lid........... :D

jen, settle down now, it's alright to be on a soapbox.... ;)
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 06:36:12 pm »
I'm good, Thanks Riv  :)