Author Topic: Need advise!  (Read 7251 times)

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
Re: Need advise!
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2014, 11:33:49 am »
I, too, agree with all that has been said.  A couple things I haven't seen mentioned at all are:

1)  Workers' Comp insurance.  Yeah, it's great to have other folks do much of the heavy lifting, moving, inspecting, and so on...  What happens if/when one of them permanently messes up their back when they turn holding a 90 pound super and wrenches their back something awful, or drops a deep with 60,000 bees and they attack...

2)  Liability insurance for some knucklehead trespassing and deciding to kick "those drawer things" over... (in MA, even if you fence an area off with razor-wire, have NO TRESPASSING signs every 10', and flashing neon signs saying KEEP OUT!!!!... if someone gets hurt when they're where they don't belong, it's still your fault!)

3)  Your back has been mentioned a lot.  OK, so you have employees to HELP you... You have a fork truck to lift pallets of complete hives...  If you enjoy the work, you're going to be out there working too.  Lifting those 90 pound supers.  Can you take that?  Is it worth the risk?

4)  Turning a hobby into a job... will it ruin the fun and enjoyment in it?  Will you still experience the excitement when you see how fast a single hive managed to draw out a couple frames of virgin foundation?

That being said, I think it sounds REALLY cool and if you can take the risks involved... GO FOR IT!  Keep us posted!!!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 09:30:20 pm »

2)  Liability insurance for some knucklehead trespassing and deciding to kick "those drawer things" over... (in MA, even if you fence an area off with razor-wire, have NO TRESPASSING signs every 10', and flashing neon signs saying KEEP OUT!!!!... if someone gets hurt when they're where they don't belong, it's still your fault!)

if someone gets hurt when they're where they don't belong

That is why we own a backhoe AND an excavator.. 
   Nope, didnt see anyone that matches that description, sorry!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rodmaker

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2014, 09:26:41 am »
Well i have spent some time checking out this operation and i will not be buying it. The equipment is worn out for the most part,the only thing of value is the bees, the rest will need to be replaced soon. The biggest reason is my better half does not really want me to go back to full time work she is afraid i will lose all the benefits the bees have brought me.
joseph

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2014, 01:00:44 pm »
It's often tough to see the downsides of a venture that sounds like it should be fun!  Congrats to you for seeing through the blinders that we, as humans, often wear.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:32 pm »
You are a wise man Rod.
1. You checked it all out.
2. Listening to your wife's opinion.

Many years ago I learned that the most valuable part of beekeeping is the equipment and not the bees.  Sounds ironic, especially on a beekeeping forum, but when you get down to brass tacks, your ability to manage the bees depends to a great extent on the quality of the equipment.  If you invest and find that you are soon bogged down with having to replace all sorts of "hardware", you'll be paying for the business twice.  In the process, you'll be losing bees and it will take its toll on your health (not just your back).

You have a smart wife.  Now that together you've reached a decision,  take her out for a nice dinner in celebration.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2014, 03:12:31 pm »
Well Rod! You opened up a good thread here, all the comments are an eye opener for us and future beeks Thanks!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 03:16:34 pm »
Well i have spent some time checking out this operation and i will not be buying it. The equipment is worn out for the most part,the only thing of value is the bees, the rest will need to be replaced soon. The biggest reason is my better half does not really want me to go back to full time work she is afraid i will lose all the benefits the bees have brought me.

I couldn't agree more!
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »
Perry- "I have grown my set-up slowly, and as a result have had the luxury of being able to adjust gradually as my numbers increased.

This meant a lot to me Perry ~  ;)
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rodmaker

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »
   Thank you everyone for your thoughts . It was a hard choice for me to make but my wife really made me see things in a different light. She has been with me for thirty nine years and she knows when i do something i do it with all i have and she does not want me working that hard any more. She is a lot smarter than i am and she stayed with me for the four years i spent in bed not being able to move due to my back problems and she does not want me to go through that again. With all that said i will just keep going with what i have with bees and keep it a hobby and enjoyable.
joseph

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 03:51:27 pm »
Hey Rodmaker.
I think you made a wise decision. You can still make it more than a hobby. Try bumping up to 50 over a bit, and see how it fits. With a few pieces of the right equipment you may find that it really isn't too hard, you can have fun, and actually make few bucks in the process. You will not get rich, but you will enjoy what you make.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 06:26:23 pm »
Sounds like you are at peace with your decision.  You can feel good about it now.
Oh, and go kiss the wife!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2014, 07:12:33 pm »
Rodmaker;
   Sounds like you have a good woman standing beside you!   Like Ef said, take her out for a NICE dinner!!
   Knowing that your spouse is a good one, do what Perry said.. grow a little at a time, and have HER keep an eye on you..  It will often be the better half that tells us we have gone from fun to work before WE realize we have crossed the line.
   Glad you will not be inundated with bee work though.. I still need to get that rod ordered!!    ;D
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2014, 11:31:34 pm »
"It was a hard choice for me to make but my wife really made me see things in a different light. She has been with me for thirty nine years and she knows when i do something i do it with all i have and she does not want me working that hard any more. She is a lot smarter than i am and she stayed with me for the four years i spent in bed not being able to move due to my back problems and she does not want me to go through that again. With all that said i will just keep going with what i have with bees and keep it a hobby and enjoyable."

sometimes rodmaker, our spouses are the 'compass' in our lives, and sometimes annoying......i have one of those...... :D
but they keep us centered.....yes?........ 39 years? congratulations.  you have a great 'compass'.......
enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor