Author Topic: Hydroponic Gardening  (Read 25878 times)

Offline Waverlybees

Hydroponic Gardening
« on: January 01, 2014, 11:18:40 am »
Anybody here have a hydroponic garden?  I saw some info on another site and it looked intriguing. I am tired of pulling weeds and thought I might give it a try but I would like to hear from someone who is already doing it.

Dan

Offline rrog13

Re: Hydroponic Gardening
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 05:21:46 pm »
Dan…..I’ve been hydroponic gardening for the last four years and love it.  One of the great things about it is you can build your system to fit the area you have available…..big or small.  I’ve built two separate systems using what they call “Nutrient Film Technique” or NTF.  It uses a pond pump to provide a constant flow of nutrient to the top side of the system and then the nutrient flows through the pipes, root systems and back to the reservoir tank.  Like beekeeping, there are a lot of different ways of doing things.  Do what you feel works best for you.  Another thing to keep in mind….if you visit the local hydroponic shop, you may get the feeling that you’re the only one there growing veggies.  rofl….Don’t sweat it too much. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 05:59:09 pm »
 "Another thing to keep in mind….if you visit the local hydroponic shop, you may get the feeling that you’re the only one there growing veggies.  rofl….Don’t sweat it too much." 

lol........true story......... ;D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline rrog13

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 10:25:25 pm »
Yep…Spoken from experience.  The first time I walked in, I was wearing my business casual attire, you could of heard a pin drop.  I looked around to see several individuals looking my way.  I just kinda rolled with it, walked to the counter and said “I just built my first system and I’m looking to get some information on the best nutrient for mass production”  Everyone seemed at ease after that. ???  I had research enough to know what I was there to buy.  Got everything I needed and drove away laughing.  Been back few time since.  It’s not a place I want to hang around and chitchat but, I figure no one’s there for trouble so I don’t sweat it too much.

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:24:46 pm »
Ok Richard, do you know of any online resources that can utilize to see how this all works?  We do not have a store dedicated to hydroponics!  Looking at your setup, it appears that you are simply (not implying this is simple) pumping food and nutrients to the top of the pipe and letting gravity carry it to the roots and eventually back to the reservoir and pump. What size are the holes in the pipe?  What size pipe?  Do you start your plants from seed using traditional soil techniques?  Sorry for all the questions, but I am truly fascinated and would like to try this in the spring so any help is appreciated.

Dan

Offline rrog13

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 10:29:42 pm »
Dan,
Here’s a quick parts list off the top of my head.  I picked up most everything from the local hardware store.
•   3.5” PVC Pipe
•   Flexible end caps, coupling and elbows with band clamps (more expensive but makes it easier to take apart and clean up)
•   Pond Pump (use one rated to pump up at least 7ft in height.)
•   The appropriate size tubing and length required for pump.
•   27 Gal Reservoir  (something similar to http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-gal-Tote-207585/202328879#)
•   Air pump (same as used in a fish tank)
•   2” hole saw
•   pvc knockout caps.  Cut these in half and place in the reservoir end of your pvc pipe to act as a water dam to maintain a water level of at
        least 1.5” to 2” in the pipe.
•   2” net pots (http://www.hydroponics.net/i/137067) You can also use solo cups with holes along the bottom sides for roots.
•   Hydrotron (medium used in the net pot to support the plant until the root system is established)
•   Hydroponic nutrient (This is not the same as miracle grow.  You can get it in liquid concentrate or powder.)
•   I also added a fill valve to automatically add water to the reservoir when needed.  You’d be surprised how much water tomatoes will draw if
        the water ph and nutrient levels are good.
•   I either start seeds in soil or purchase small plants and wash off the root

It takes about a week before you start to see growth on the top side.  If you lift up the pot after a couple days you’ll see new root growth.  Then after about a week, you should start to see some pretty impressive “daily” growth.   

Good plants to start out with….tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, banana peppers. 

Your bees would love some squash and cantaloupe.

The image shack link below has a few additional hydroponic photos.  Feel free to take a look. Ask all the questions you want!

Offline Gary

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:35:36 pm »
rrog,
Can you please recommend books to read on hydroponic gardening?

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:42 am »
Thanks for all the information Richard. That really helps me. I believe I can get started. Does the pump run all the time or is it on a timer?  If on a timer, how long does it run during each cycle and how long between cycles?

Again, I greatly appreciate your help!!!

Dan

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 07:20:09 am »
I find this fascinating. It looks like something you could set up in your basement as a year round endeavor with the proper lights. We have a hydroponic store about 10 minutes away.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 11:09:59 am »
I think I will setup a small system on my deck. How convenient to walk out the kitchen door and pick dinner!!!!  This is going to be a fun endeavor. Still lots to learn though.

Richard, are there any plants (edible) that one should not attempt to grow?

Dan

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 02:57:58 pm »
I find this fascinating. It looks like something you could set up in your basement as a year round endeavor with the proper lights. We have a hydroponic store about 10 minutes away.

Perry I would think there are PLENTY of these in basements and closets, just not advertised much though for some reason!!    ;)  :laugh: :laugh:
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Zulu

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 03:08:47 pm »
Watching this thread with fascination , as always wanted to do something like this, but not allowed any more hobbies
Zulu's Bees

Offline rrog13

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 04:56:47 pm »
Zulu.......I say it's an extension to my bee yard.  My wife says...yeah, "It's always about the bees".   :laugh:  I can't deny it.  :)

The only book I’ve actually purchased on it is “Beginning Hydroponics Soilless Gardening”. http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Hydroponics-Revised-Richard-Nicholls/dp/0894717413
Most of the research I did to get started was just searching the internet and reading everything I could find. 

This year I experimented with broccoli, cabbage and summer squash which all did very well.   Anything you plant which has a root system already started is the easiest.  I have been successful starting from seed by using a piece of rag to draw nutrient up to the seed and do plan to experiment with that a little more this year.  I haven’t tried any kind of root plant such as potatoes, carrots or radish.  I think it’s possible with a little different setup but I’m not sure it’s worth the effort. 

Your bees will begin gathering water from the base of the plants if the system is outside like mine.  The hydroponic solution within the nutrient tank consists of 6 macro-nutrients: Nitrogen (N), Phosphorus (P), and Potassium (K). This is simply the ratio numbers you see on a fertilizer bag (like 30-10-30).  The other 3 macros are calcium, sulfur and magnesium. There are also micro-nutrients (minute traces of other elements) that plants need to grow well.  In addition, there are trace elements of iron, boron, manganese, zinc, molybdenum, copper, cobalt, chlorine, selenium and silicon….basically an all-around multi vitamin.  I’ve not seen problem in the bee yard as a result of them getting water from the plants but, I did go ahead and build a bee fountain next to the garden using a small pond pump which spilled out over some mossy rocks along with some lemongrass and other herbs growing out of it. Once I did that, they began using the fountain for the most part.  The bees love the mossy rocks and you don’t have to worry about the bees drowning.  It’s also a great place to introduce them to your visitors for a more up close experience.   I’ve never seen them aggressive to anyone around the fountain……...anyway, I’m just being longwinded now.

Below is a video of the fountain.  If you can’t tell by now, I do enjoy adding pictures and videos to my posts. 

Offline Zulu

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 06:18:55 pm »
Thanks Richard, great name btw

I have kept koi seriously in another life , so know all about the cycle of aquaponics , which appeals to me as being even more organic.

I have a small greenhouse next to the house that I do believe I could turn into a small vertical garden, it gets heated from the ground floor furnace vent, so could in theory do something now, maybe I have to be surreptitious on this one..... Already have a pump, have plenty of 4" pipe lying around, have a 300 gallon tank and a few 55 gallon drums too, so could probably cobble up a starter.  Only issue is number of daylight hours as it is tucked beside the house.

Will keep my ears and eyes open, and also post pics if I go ahead.

SWMBO is on me about finishing some kitchen cabinet trim at present, as I built her a new pantry over the season.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 03:54:34 pm »
 "Another thing to keep in mind….if you visit the local hydroponic shop, you may get the feeling that you’re the only one there growing veggies.  rofl….Don’t sweat it too much." 

Ahhhhh!  Now I get it!!!!  Lol. It took watching some videos on utube, but now I know what the regulars at a hydroponic store are growing. Thanks for the heads up. It won't be a problem cause they will all be moving to Colorado soon!!!!

Dan

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 03:58:54 pm »
It won't be a problem cause they will all be moving to Colorado soon!!!!

Or it might be coming soon to an area near you!   8)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Waverlybees

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »
Well, i'll never say never. But Alabama can't even pass a lottery so I would hope that we would be last to do something like that but you never know! ;D

Dan

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:33:48 am »
I read in the news that Al is bring it up on the medical part, I am sure it is for the taxes they would get from it though.

Ken

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2014, 02:53:10 pm »
rrog13, I am in the process of building an hydroponic garden myself and of all the places I looked I can not find any thing about space between the holes in the pipe to place the cups to grow the plants. I would imagine the distance between the holes would be more for tomatoes, beans than lettuce. Do you know of a chart some where that might have the spacing for this and what have you found to be a good spacing for the holes.

Ken

Offline rrog13

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 06:20:49 pm »
Ken,
  I've never come across any type of distance chart but, you're right.  The root system for the tomatoes can get fairly big in the hydroponics.  That's another reason I use flex connectors on my pvc pipes.  I can switch out the pipes, depending on what I'm growing.  For tomatoes, mine are about 18" apart....give or take to get equal spacing in between.  Lettuce and cucumbers about 10" to 12" spacing.