Author Topic: Riverbee's Journey  (Read 70344 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Riverbee's Journey
« Reply #120 on: August 11, 2014, 04:23:25 pm »
i  returned from montana last wednesday, and on the day my injections were scheduled, not sure what i was thinking...... :D
i was unable to post pix of my travels but may do so elsewhere on the forum.   my injections were rescheduled for this week, wednesday. lots of catching up to do here !

i checked my bees on saturday; the progress of an empty super placed on before i left.  it's full, but not yet capped.  this hive has a full deep, a full super, both capped and this third needing to be capped. when i approached the hive, i saw  quite the pile of bees on the landing board and quite the roar going on.  the bees were about 2 1/2 thick in the pile. i gently tried to separate with a gloved hand, but as soon as i did, they all piled back on..... :D  at about 45 secs or so, you will see the ball of bees fall off the landing board.  they rolled around on the landing board for sometime before they rolled off.  i still couldn't see what the heck they were mauling until i sent a puff of smoke on the pile to reveal a big carpernter bee.  as soon as the smoke cleared the bees were piled up thick on the carpenter bee again (not shown), it didn't make it........
anyway, the bees could have cared less about me, and no stings, but this time of year with honey coming in, and with the defense of the hive for invaders as this, i am not usually stung.  i am wearing full gear and will continue to do  so.
(ps not sure what it is with you tube, but video quality is not always very good?)

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #121 on: August 11, 2014, 06:11:33 pm »
That how my bees do the bumble bee when they enter the hive, quite a site to see, and it looks like they are biting the bee instead of stinging.

Ken

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #122 on: August 11, 2014, 07:31:06 pm »
yep ken, they do the same to the bumbles, they were initially trying to 'suffocate' or 'overheat' by balling, none were stinging, good eye!  they were biting!
there were no dead bees on the ground when the dust cleared.  it is quite a site to see!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: August 11, 2014, 08:21:07 pm »
Awesome vid!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #124 on: August 11, 2014, 10:13:46 pm »
thanks jen!

Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2014, 10:33:09 pm »
That how my bees do the bumble bee when they enter the hive, quite a site to see, and it looks like they are biting the bee instead of stinging.

Ken
I read that bees have a paralyzing chemical -introduced via their mandibles- they can use on intruders like a moth or beetle larva.  A bite will paralyze a larva for a minute or two while bees have their way with them.  Perhaps that was the strategy this time, they sure had their way with that alien bee.....?   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: August 11, 2014, 11:18:38 pm »
Very cool, thanks for sharing!
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2014, 11:28:48 pm »
Back to Riverbee's Journey, I remember being one of the first responders to her original post.  The journey has transformed into a destination.  The long trek that sometimes was one step forward and two steps back is over.  There remains the need to be diligent and disciplined.  Those casual sneak and peep moments must remain in the long term memory.  This has been a long journey over two forums, and it has concluded in the best of all scenarios. 

Riverbees journey is a testament to believing in something and just being an intrepid hard case.  Good on you gal.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2014, 09:50:13 pm »
thank you lazy for your post......i appreciate it, and appreciate what you said.  i have some thoughts/comments to what you said, later...... thank you!

Forum Sponsor

Offline BellaFrunes

« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2014, 10:44:26 pm »
I never used to react to bee stings until this year.  I really swell up if I have too many stings in one day.  Only swelling though.  Takes about five days for it to go down.  My doctor said beeks are typically allergic.  I once read where you become immune if you take a few thousand stings per year. No thanks!  Sorry to hear your so allergic.  Anyway that is a cool video you have there.  Your bees have a really beautiful golden color to them.  Mine are mostly grayish.  See Ya

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2014, 11:31:29 pm »
thanks bella for your post.  like you, and many others, never really reacted to stings until just before the allergy hit.  large welts and swelling and an escalation to hives and then the a shock.... lots of changes in my life at the time and before that may have contributed to the change in my immune system response to stings.  i will probably never know, but it does haunt me.  the injections are going great and i am keeping a positive attitude about it.    i recently bumped into and talked to a commercial beek who has been under the same doctor's care as i have been, only he has been receiving injections on an 8 -12 week basis now for the past 5 years, and says he will be for life, me too, most likely.  he suffered from anaphylactic events as i did.   sure was encouraging for me.  my first post in this thread describes in short what my experience was if you would like to read it.  i have been undergoing injections since that time.

the bees, or the queen in this hive was originally of russian/carni genetics in 2012.....  having gone relatively untouched with minimal maintenance for two years. but these bees and the queen are most certainly mutts by now! this hive really does amaze me!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Retroguy

• Retroguy
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2014, 02:15:37 am »
Riverbee, been there with the anaphylaxis (in my case I suddenly became allergic to aspirin in Alka-Seltzer).  It does get scary when you can't get enough air and especially when the crew is trying different injections and nothing's phasing it.  While I don't think I'm allergic to bee stings I'm having my doctor refill my Epi-pen prescription before Spring "just in case".
I always stand behind my work...
It makes me harder to find.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: August 13, 2014, 02:19:51 am »
Me Too Retro, just got my new one !! And I keep it in the exact same place All The Time ~

Offline CpnObvious

• My Photobucket Bee Album
« Reply #133 on: August 13, 2014, 08:05:30 am »
I'm having my doctor refill my Epi-pen prescription before Spring "just in case".

Personally, I recommend filling before the year's end.  My last 2-pack has an expiration in October or November of 2015...  If you fill it by December 2014 you can take advantage of this: FREE EPIPEN VOUCHER

Offline lazy shooter

• Gold Member
« Reply #134 on: August 13, 2014, 08:35:31 am »
Do you guys carry your epipen with you when you work your bees?  It seemingly would need to be close at hand, especially if you worked alone.

Having an injection every eight to 12 weeks seems like a walk in the park if there is some potential for anaphylactic shock.  My oldest son is allergic to many things.  I told one of my old pals he was allergic to his own snot.  :)  His oldest son has huge reactions to wasp stings.  He has only been stung a couple of times, but both instances caused excessive swelling.  The kind of swelling that moves up one's arm.  His doctor said there was no danger of anaphylactic shock, but that he should see an allergist.  That is on schedule.  I am in a quandary about what to do, but the epipen seems like a cheap solution.  Obviously, neither my son or grandson are allowed close to my bees.

Neither I or my wife are allergic to any stings.  Thirty minutes after a sting, there is not visible mark or swelling left on my body.  Allergies are a strange and illogical to me.

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #135 on: August 13, 2014, 09:04:46 am »
Lazy,

When I visit my hives I carry a small toolbox:

1) lighter/matches
2) hive tool
3) paper to start the smoker with
4) Epipen
5) Benedryl / allergy meds
6) Bee brush
7) maybe a couple other little things???

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a medically-trained professional, though I have a pretty good understanding of quite a bit...  Take my advice for what you pay for it.  I won't be hurt if you ask for a second opinion :)

There's a difference between an allergy and a reaction...  Swelling up at/around the site of a sting is just the reaction of your body fighting the venom.  Although this should always be monitored in case it turns into an infection, it's typically not something to worry about for most people.  I carry "OTC" Benedryl/allergy meds to help with this.  Whether it be for me or an innocent bystander.

Anaphylaxis‎ is an allergic reaction, quite a serious one, as I'm sure you know.  I do not experience this from insect stings.  I carry the Epipen in my toolbox more-so for others.  I have aided in CERT trainings, my better half is trained as an EMT, and I work in a hospital (where I make it a point to learn as much as possible).  Two of the most important things I have learned about Epipens are that:
1)  Even if it's expired, as long as it's not discolored, something is better than nothing.  After the expiration, the dose could be a little weaker than it should be, but if it can keep the person alive long enough for the professionals arrive, it's a good thing.
2)  A child/Jr size Epipen obviously delivers a smaller dose than an adult size one.  HOWEVER, if all you have nearby is a child size and an adult needs it... USE IT!  Something is better than nothing.  If all you have is an adult size Epipen and a child needs it... USE IT!!!  Paramedics can reverse the over-effects of the larger Epipen when they arrive better than they can reverse the effects of death because nothing was used.

Again, I'm no medical professional, but have learned a LOT about keeping those around me (in whatever setting I'm in) as safe as I can.

Also, something to keep in mind... Allergies can be developed.  You may not have an allergy today, tomorrow, 3 years from now...  But all it takes is that 1 or 2 stings to find out the hard way that your body has changed the way it's going to react to something.

~~  My two-cents worth.  Sorry for the long-winded rambling.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:44 am »

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a medically-trained professional, though I have a pretty good understanding of quite a bit...  Take my advice for what you pay for it.  I won't be hurt if you ask for a second opinion :)

There's a difference between an allergy   and a reaction...  Swelling up at/around the site of a sting is just the reaction of your body fighting the venom.

I'll sign on to what CpnObvious says but add what he hinted at but didn't say:  A local reaction (mild or severe) shows up associated directly with the site of the sting.  An allergic reaction shows up on parts of the body not directly associated with the sting.  Said in other words, if you got stung on your arm and develop a rash on your chest or back or feel tightness in your throat and have trouble breathing, THAT is a sign of an allergic reaction.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2014, 02:49:35 pm »
Cpn- This is invaluable info here. Two years ago I had a scrip for an epipen from my doc, the pharmacist didn't tell me that there is an expiration date to take note of, hubby took note of the expiration date when I got home. Time went by and I got my new epipen, threw the old one out. Since this info, I will keep my expired one for awhile. Thanks!

Also, I don't keep my epipen in my tool box where the sun can hit it. Directions do say to keep the pen out of direct sunlight. I can remedy that tho by wrapping it in a small towel. I keep mine just inside the back door, inside a cupboard where it is never moved. 

Offline CpnObvious

« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2014, 03:18:20 pm »
Directions do say to keep the pen out of direct sunlight. I can remedy that tho by wrapping it in a small towel. I keep mine just inside the back door, inside a cupboard where it is never moved.

This is correct.  There's actually a fairly small temperature window that Epipens should be stored at... They recommend keeping it at mid-70s.  I keep my beebox in the shade when I have it out.  Otherwise this toolbox is kept inside the house.  One of my bee yards is about 6 miles away from my house, so for obvious reason, I can't just keep it inside the back door.

Sorry for hi-jacking the thread.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2014, 04:06:41 pm »
Cpn- "This is correct.  There's actually a fairly small temperature window that Epipens should be stored at... They recommend keeping it at mid-70s.

Good to know ! Thanks!