Beekeeping > Pests and Diseases

Deformed Wing Syndrome?

(1/4) > >>

brooksbeefarm:
I have read it is a disease of it's own and others say it's caused by mites? Other than treat for mites, is there another cure for it like requeen or let it run it's course? I see it quite often in the summer but seems to go away? Jack

LazyBkpr:
I have only noticed this in heavily mite infested colonies, and in fact have told others that they had a LOT of mites when I saw crawlers on or under their entrances..  a treatment proved the statement correct.   I have never seen a crawler in my hives, not that there has never been any, but I think, it is only problematic when there is an overload of mites damaging the capped brood.

Perry:
I believe it is a disease of its own, but is transmitted by varroa and is therefore most often associated as such.

brooksbeefarm:
Crawling bees outside of the hive is a sign of Tracheal mites, we don't see that much anymore? But i'm seeing more and more of the DWS. Like perry, i think it's a disease of it's own, but is there other treatments for it other than treat for varroa mites?

Jen:
I first saw it in my hive last fall. I saw the crawling bees on the ground, under the entrance of my hive. They crawl wobbley. I used Formic Acid Quik Strips, and the problem has not been back. Had a 2,000 mite kill. Oxalic Acid won't work in this case cause you have to get the mites out of the capped brood/drones. Oxalic Acid doesn't reach that deep.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version