Worldwide Beekeeping Resource Library > GETTING STARTED

Fall Management

<< < (6/6)

LazyBkpr:

--- Quote from: riverbee on April 06, 2015, 07:23:09 pm ---my humble opinion on treating for  tracheal mites and adding grease patties as a preventative measure?  it's not necessary but doesn't hurt them.  i don't do it. unless there are signs of tracheal mites, why treat for something you don't have present?

--- End quote ---

I agree with Mrs. River.. the only preventative thing I give is Fumagilin B for Nosema.. it has helped my bees..  Others beg to differ, but I have seen the proof positive in spring losses to Nosema. If it stops working, i will stop using it..  I have not lost a "spring" hive to Nosema since I started using it.

--- Quote from: capt44 on May 14, 2015, 11:11:36 pm ---I use solid bottom boards and a vented inner cover.
The Bees are not trying to heat the whole hive.
They are heating the cluster.
Bees can withstand very cold temperatures but if  the warm moist heat collects on the top and drips back down on the cluster the bees will die at 32 degrees F.
Ventilation is the key for a hives survival.

--- End quote ---

This is also how I winter and the method I advocate and swear by.

Bee Commander:
Riverbee, thanks a bunch... I learned a lot.

Jen:
Scott, what does a hive look like in spring that has nosema? .... for new beeks to know  :-\

LazyBkpr:
  It is usually badly streaked, inside and out;

Depending on your winter, SOME streaking may be normal, especially if you have had three to four months of COLD before a day that the bees could take cleansing flights. A lot of streaking, like the picture indicates trouble, and also depending on the weather, you may not be able to do anything about it. A hive like the one pictured should probably be drenched, even if its cold, because they are dead anyhow, drenching may kill them if its cold, but its a chance!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version