Author Topic: Handle jig for circular saw  (Read 14564 times)

Offline Green bee

Handle jig for circular saw
« on: December 18, 2016, 10:17:26 am »
This is what I have been using in my hive boxes I build. Sorry if it's been posted before I looked through the threads and didnt see it. Anyway ofter everything is set up its really fast and easy. Just thought I would share it. 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man, Some Day

Offline Green bee

Re: Handle jig for circular saw
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:29:58 am »
Here is one I cut

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 07:13:35 pm »
I am always impressed with a good jig setup. :) Thanks
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Green bee

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 07:27:24 pm »
Neil I cut about 20 of them in about 15 min trying it out, it works really good. Hardest part is getting your saw set to the right depth. I would recommend starting shallow and gradually setting your saw deeper after each cut. I cut one to deep and ended up with a hole in my box. ;D

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 05:35:23 pm »
We cut a few box handholds with a similar jig.  Ours didn't turn out as pretty.  Blew out a few chips but they still work.  Good job!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 05:44:29 pm »
Be careful when using a circular saw for these types of cuts. The blades are not designed for the lateral (side) pressure that is exerted on them.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 07:32:19 pm »
Rodger that Perry.  Thanks!  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »
Be careful when using a circular saw for these types of cuts. The blades are not designed for the lateral (side) pressure that is exerted on them.
  if you do it like he does in the video, by picking the saw up and down it will clear 95% of the wood away. But I do agree Perry , be careful not to cut with the side of the blade. Done right you shouldn't have to.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 08:46:06 pm »
We cut a few box handholds with a similar jig.  Ours didn't turn out as pretty.  Blew out a few chips but they still work.  Good job!  Ted
Thanks Ted  ;D But as Perry was saying be careful. Done like he does it in the video it's pretty easy.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 07:15:52 am »
A video on youtube shows John Pluta I believe, using a circular saw free hand making those hand hold cuts and I cringe when I watch it. It does the job alright, but I question how safe that is.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: tedh

Offline Green bee

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 11:47:25 am »
A video on youtube shows John Pluta I believe, using a circular saw free hand making those hand hold cuts and I cringe when I watch it. It does the job alright, but I question how safe that is.
john isn't missing a few fingers is he Perry? I think I will try to find that I'd like to see it.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2016, 01:42:22 pm »
Those type of handles are only necessary for side by side stacking for wintering or transportation correct ?

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »
Green Bee,

I was wondering, what angle on the guides do you find works best?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Green bee

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 11:47:03 am »
Green Bee,

I was wondering, what angle on the guides do you find works best?
I used the same angle he mentioned in the video ( can't remember what it was) it worked pretty good for me.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2016, 11:49:49 am »
thanks GB, I watched the video with sound off.  :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Green bee

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 11:51:19 am »
Those type of handles are only necessary for side by side stacking for wintering or transportation correct ?
Idk mikey, but it seems it would work well for general use. I can get a good grip,on them with four fingers. Keep in mind though I have yet to use them with much weight in them.

Offline Green bee

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 11:58:57 am »
Neil one thing I noticed about the ones I cut is that when you cut them the top part of the cut where you would hold the box angles down slightly at the bottom of the cut. I would prefer them to angle up so your fingers would actually be able to go under the outside edge a little. Next ones I do I think I am going to adjust the angle of the saw itself to see if that would work. I think that's what needs to be done but he don't mention it in the video.

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 09:25:21 am »
Cool, will try it. I have been using 6" x 2" wood handles because I do not transport hives.... Yet.
Cheers, Bill

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 11:29:06 am »
I tried it that way, but I AM missing a finger..  It does work well if you have the right blade, AND that blade is sharp. It also helps if you are a patient person...  I am not, and had two near disasters so stopped doing it that way.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2018, 10:36:14 am »
while looking for something else I came across this & gave it a read. I've seen this same thing on you tube & have to say it raises a lot of concerns. these jigs for circular saws & table saws are accidents waiting to happen. it's just a matter of time before a piece gets caught & is launched across your shop resulting in a jammed finger or thumb or an injury from that wood striking you resulting in a lost eye or other injury. I've been a union carpenter & home shop wood butcher for over 40 years. I've worked residential, commercial, & industrial. I've been around a lot of machinery, flown 30.00 ib. loads with cranes, & installed industrial machinery & robotics. I have a stringed instrument repair shop & build bee woodenware. AND I still have ALL of my digits. I do not like the handles that are added to the outside of hive boxes. they take up room in the shed & I just do not like the way they look. so when I found this I went for it.