Author Topic: Lip Balm Recipes  (Read 32989 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Lip Balm Recipes
« on: December 06, 2013, 04:03:54 pm »
Who's making lip balm this winter?
I hoard lip balm recipes and have a few to share to get you started.   i will follow up with a number of different recipes in subsequent posts.  :D
This one is one of my favorite's, sells well and is similar to a well known lip balm:

Peppermint Beeswax Lip Balm
makes about 25 1.5 oz tubes
1.5 ozs of beeswax
1 oz of coconut oil (76 deg. virgin or fractionated)
0.8 ozs of sunflower oil
0.3 ozs of lanolin
10-20 drops of tocopherols (vit. E oil)
10 drops of rosemary oil extract
peppermint essential oil (add to your liking)
Melt all the ingredients over very low heat except for the peppermint oil. Remove when heated through and then add the peppermint oil. pour into lip balm tubes, let harden, label and seal.
see my post #3 on these measurements~0.8 ozs of sunflower oil, and 0.3 ounces of lanolin to get these measurements

another variation of peppermint type lip balms, experiment!:
Peppermint lip balm with almond, jojoba oils, honey, vit e
Peppermint Lip Balm.
This recipe is quite easy to make. Peppermint essential oil is used in this recipe but other essential oils, such as rose geranium or orange, can be used depending upon your own personal preference. If you like a creamier consistency for your lip balm use a little bit less beeswax or add a bit more almond oil.

Ingredients:
½ cup sweet almond oil
2 tablespoons jojoba oil
2 tablespoons beeswax pellets/ block
2 tablespoons honey
5 Vitamin E capsules or in liquid form
25 drops peppermint essential oil
To melt the beeswax use a double boiler method and make sure to line the top bowl with parchment paper, wax paper or plastic wrap to protect the beeswax as it melts. You don't want it to take on any of the qualities of the metal bowl or pot.

Directions:
A quart size glass canning jar works as a good container in which to make this lip balm. Place the jar into a pan half filled with water and turn the heatto medium. Then carefully add the sweet almond oil, jojoba oil and beeswax into the canning jar. Use a pot holder to hold the top of the canning jar while stirring it around until the beeswax is completely melted. Stir in the honey and Vitamin E and mix until the honey has been thoroughly incorporated. Remove the container from the pan of hot water and turn off your stove.  ( <!-- s:lol: -->:lol:<!-- s:lol: --> )
Stir in the essential oil then pour the balm into containers and let cool to room temperature before covering with the lids. Empty plastic lip gloss containers, which hold approximately ¼ ounce, can be purchased from a variety of vendors. This recipe makes almost one cup (8 ounces) of lip balm. (the description of melting and the directions are not my comments but the lol is!...turn off your stove!!!!

PEPPERMINT LIP BALM WITH COCOA BUTTER, SUNFLOWER OR SAFFLOWER OIL
Peppermint Lip Balm
Makes 8 – 1/4 ounce tins or 4 – 1/2 oz tins

1 tablespoon beeswax pellets
1 tablespoon cocoa butter (deodorized cocoa butter won’t have the chocolaty smell, but that may not be a bad thing to have the cocoa butter smell in there!)
2 tablespoons sunflower or safflower oil
6 drops peppermint essential oil

Melt beeswax, cocoa butter, and sunflower or safflower oils together in a glass pyrex measuring cup that has been placed in a pot of simmering water; stir continuously. Once the ingredients are liquefied, remove them from heat. Mix in essential oils. Pour lip balm into 1/4 oz or 1/2 oz tins or lip balm pots. Do not cap until lip balms have cooled completely. Label and keep in a cool place.

Almond Oil/Honey Lip Balm
8 oz. sweet almond oil
1.5-2.5 oz. beeswax
1 t. honey
Melt almond oil and beeswax together in a pyrex measuring container. Whisk in honey and pour into containers.

Cocoa Butter Lip Balm
2.5 oz. cocoa butter
2.6 oz. beeswax
1.4 oz. sweet almond oil
Melt all together and then pour into containers.

Flavored Lip Balm
2 tsp. beeswax
7-8 tsp. light oil (sweet almond oil, olive oil jojoba oil)
1 tsp. honey
5 drops flavoring
Melt oil and beeswax until wax is melted. Remove from heat and add honey. Blend thoroughly, stirring constantly. Add flavorings and put into containers.

Flavored variation lip balm....
FLAVORED BEESWAX LIP BALM
ALMOND, JOJOBA COCOA BUTTER VIT E AND FLAVORED OIL
Flavored Beeswax Lip Balm
Melt together two teaspoons beeswax and one teaspoon of either sweet almond oil or Jojoba Oil , with one and a half teaspoons of cocoa butter. Let cool slightly and add 4-6 drops of flavored oil and the contents of one Vitamin E capsule. Pour into a pot and let set. Note: flavored oils suitable for lip balms are available in a wide range of flavors from apple to
wintergreen.

Sweet Honey Lip Balm
5-6 T. Sweet Almond or Jojoba, or vegetable oil
1-2 T. Beeswax
2 tsp honey
2 drops essential oil (tea tree, peppermint, etc.)
Melt together the oil and beeswax in a small saucepan over low heat or in a double boiler until melted. Remove from heat and add honey and blend mixture with a small whisk. Stir until cooled, and then add the essential oil. The essential oil helps preserve it; also, jojoba oil will help it stay good, since it does not turn rancid. You can mix the oils, too (ex. mix half jojoba/half shea butter...).

or another variation:

Honey Lip Balm
Melt one teaspoon of beeswax with one teaspoon of honey. Add two teaspoons of almond oil. Whisk together until well combined; pour into a small pot and let set before using.

COCOA MINT LIP BALM
1.5 oz. cocoa butter (non-deodorize)
1 oz. beeswax
1.5 oz. shea butter
.01 oz. pure Vitamin E
3-5 drops peppermint essential oil (optional)
You may wish to less or no peppermint if you don't like the "tingle" that peppermint leaves behind on your lips; the sensation disappears within a few minutes of application) In a heat proof measuring cup with a lip for pouring, melt together the cocoa butter, shea butter and beeswax over a double boiler. Once the butters and wax have completely liquefied,remove from heat. Stir with a pop sickle stick to ensure the mix. Add Vitamin E and stir to incorporate. Add the essential oil and stir to combine. While mixture remains hot, pour into lip balm containers. You may spill a bit outside the containers as you get used to steadying your hand to pour. If this happens, wait for the mixture to
harden and wipe the containers with a clean cloth. Seal, label and enjoy!

another cocoa mint lip balm:
COCOA MINT LIP BALM #2
Ingredients:
.25 ounces Beeswax
.33 ounces Shea Butter, Refined
.33 ounces Regular Cocoa Butter
.40 ounces Sweet Almond Oil
2 mL Vitamin E Acetate
10 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
Instructions:
Weigh all ingredients, then melt the oils and Beeswax in microwave. Add the essential oil and pour into prepared containers. Let them cool, then cap. This quantity fills 4 lip balm tubes and 3 lip balm jars

i have a few more to share........next post.....  :D
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 09:45:19 pm by riverbee »
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Lip Balm Recipes
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:25 pm »
I will clarify the first one here in my post and on the recipe, it's not 8 ounces of sunflower oil, it's 8/10ths of an ounce of sunflower oil, and not 3 ounces of lanolin, but 3/10 of an ounce of lanolin......did i make anyone's head spin?........ LOL!
if it was 8 ounces and 3 ounces better have lots of lip balm tubes....... :lol:

1 fluid ounce = 10/10 of an ounce or 1.00, so 0.8 fluid ounce = 8/10 of an ounce, and 0.3 = 3/10ths of an ounce. put in perspective:
1 fluid ounce = 10/10ths of an ounce or 1.00 ounce
3/4 fluid ounce =  1/75th of an ounce or 0.75 ounce
1/2 fluid ounce =  1/5th of an ounce or 0.5 ounce
1/4 fluid ounce =  1/25th of an ounce or 0.25 ounce

okay, still with me........ :lol:
so 0.8 ounces = 8/10ths of ounce......and falls another 5th of an ounce, between 3/4 and 1 fluid ounce.......
and 0.3 ounces = 3/10ths of ounce.....and falls another 5th of an ounce somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 ounce
......did i say that right.... :lol:

anyway, good luck trying to find a measuring device to get these fluid measurements, they might exist, i don't know, i just guess a little.  you could try and convert to milliliters or teaspoons but are still probably not going to get it exact.  geez you make me work hard iddee......... :lol:
Forum Sponsor

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 09:27:06 pm »
Those sound like some good products RB.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:44:17 pm »
thanks g!   :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:18 am »
blueblood's peppermint lip balm
1 part beeswax,
2 parts shea or cocoa butter
2 parts oil (I use sweet almond oil)
25-27 drops of peppermint oil
1-3% mix of stevia based cocunut oil (optional)

If you use tablespoons for measuring, this will make 13-15 standard lip balm tubes.  Also, I substitute strawberry, vanilla or other flavor in place of the peppermint oil.  I buy all of my ingredients, tubes, shrink bands etc. from http://http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/  They have good quality products and fast and reasonable shipping.

For you entrepreneurs, I sell lots of these for a nice little marginal profit in the off season.  Folks are happily paying $2/tube.  Also, my brother who is a graphic artist, designed and printed all of my labels.  He is open for freelance work so private message me and I will get you in contact with him.
The following users thanked this post: Papakeith

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 12:29:41 pm »
very nice bb! love the label!  what is the stevia based cocunut oil ?
Forum Sponsor

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 12:33:54 pm »
Thanks! river, it is more of a solid than a liquid but really adds a nice, sweet touch to the balm.  Makes them come back for more  8-) ... Anyway, it is very tasty with the "sugared strawberry" flavor oil.  Women can't buy enough of it from me....
http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Stev ... -1094.html
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:11:01 pm by blueblood »

Offline crazy8days

• https://www.facebook.com/pages/Crees-Bees/264227527049555?ref=hl
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 11:44:08 pm »
I've made Peppermint and Mandarin Nutmeg lip balm.  Local Health food store are now selling them!

Selling at a friends hair salon.
“It's wonderful to me that bees have this simple, age-old thing going on.” -Peter Fonda

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 10:48:17 pm »
i found this and wanted to share it but haven't mixed it up and tried it yet, copy cat recipe of a famous lip balm.  might have to replace blueblood's suggestion of the stevia based cocunut oil, rather than the regular. btw, crazy's mandarin nutmeg lip balm is awesome!

this recipe is supposed to make 20 + tubes:

Ingredients:

* 20 grams Beeswax (about 3 Tablespoons )
* 20 grams Cocoa Butter or Coconut Oil (about 2 Tablespoons)
* 45 grams Sunflower Oil (1/4 cup)
* 8 drops Vitaman E oil (4 vitamin E oil tablets worth)
* 2 drops Rosemary essential oil
* 12 drops  Peppermint essential oil
* Pea-sized drop of Lanolin

Instructions:

1. Measure out all your ingredients except essential oils into a heat friendly cup or pan. You can use a glass dish in the microwave also. I cut open the
    little Vitamin E tablets and squeezed the good stuff into the cup.

2. Next, melt all the ingredients, and stir. The beeswax seemed to take the longest to melt, but it was all melted within a couple of minutes.

3. Once it’s all melted add your essential oils and mix it up.

4. Then test it out, to make sure it has the flavor you want by letting a tiny bit cool on your finger. Rub it on your lips and check if its just right. If you
    feel it needs more mint or other flavorings, add more!

5. Then use a dropper to add the melted goodness into chapstick tubes. (If it cools too quickly before you’re done filling your tubes, just pop it in the
     microwave till it melts again.)

6. Then voila! You are done. Just let them all cool.

Forum Sponsor

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 09:14:11 am »
I like the sweetness added to the balm.  Thanks for the reminder on his mandarin.  I am going to try that and a few others this season.