Sustainable Living > Homestead

Squirrel proofing tomatoes

(1/6) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I am not sure that this posting should go under homestead, but as no one has posted here in a very long time, I will.
In between storms yesterday, I think I have gotten my tomatoes squirrel proofed.
1 1/2 weeks ago I dug up a bed of Iris to build a 5x5 raised bed for tomatoes.  Got that done and planted my tomatoes that I had started from seed.  There was also room for some peppers around the edges.  I got excellent germination from a heirloom variety, Ace 55.
Yesterday, I put up 6 ft. frame around the bed and covered it with bird netting.   I also did the same over part of another bed that I had redone for lavender.  That bed is another story, but at the end of the lavender bed I put 2 tomatoes that are doing very well and have fruit on them.  If my tomatoes produce, the harvest is going to be very late.  Tomatoes need sun and moisture.  We got the moisture, still waiting for lots of sun.
I am told that bird netting is sufficient to deter squirrels.  I hope my source is right.  I know my terrier mix dog is trying his best, but he has to nap sometime. 

neillsayers:
Ought to work. Tagging in for updates.  :)

Bakersdozen:
Well, like I said the dog is trying.  I just watched him kill another big, fat squirrel!  The trick is getting the dog to give up his kill.

neillsayers:
Puppie just wants a snack! :D

Bakersdozen:
Update:  The bird netting is working!  It's a no squirrel zone.  Tomatoes are starting to ripen.  I've picked 3 beautiful tomatoes!  It's been too hot for any more fruit to set, but I hope to have fruit set this fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version