Sustainable Living > Preserving Food

dry canning grains?

<< < (2/2)

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: Grandma Bear on January 21, 2021, 09:54:32 am ---

My oldest son is getting me some tiny scooter type stands for the buckets to sit on, so all I will need to do from now on is roll them out by the handles. This getting older thing ain't for sissies I'm telling ya.

--- End quote ---
I have my extractor setting on a barrel dolly.  My extractor isn't THAT heavy, but it sure is nice to be able to roll it around.

Grandma Bear:

--- Quote from: Gypsi on January 24, 2021, 05:35:22 pm ---If it hurts don't do it, if it's arthritis, well I sent you a recipe for a remedy I take.  And I love the cheat your son got you.  But screw on tops are surely easier.  My question is what is the difference between dry storage in buckets and dry storage in jars?

--- End quote ---

Thank you for the recipe Gypsi!! I definitely will be giving it a try.

Shelf space and shelf life would be the biggest differences I reckon. In the buckets I can seal grains in mylar with the dessicant packs and they will be good for years. I don't think just pouring them into jars would extend shelf life much...thus the research into dry canning. Since the little dollys, which I think were originally intended for large plants work so well I'm not concerned anymore. The lids were giving me fits though, I smashed my right hand up really bad last summer and it doesn't like to grip and pull at the same time...the screw on lids are going to be heaven for me when they get here.

I hadn't thought of using something like that for extractors and other stuff!!!  :o ;D  I hope my son remembers where he got those!

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: Grandma Bear on January 28, 2021, 08:17:38 pm ---
I hadn't thought of using something like that for extractors and other stuff!!!  :o ;D  I hope my son remembers where he got those!

--- End quote ---

I found mine on Craigslist.  Nice man and he was extremely cautious.  He was obviously a repeat seller on CL.  He was making mental notes about me and my truck as well as asking me questions to see if I was consistent about why I wanted the dolly.  :D

Also, unfortunately there are a lot of businesses going under now days.  You might be able to find something at an online auction if your son forgets.  I have been picking up bits and pieces of commercial equipment for honey processing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version