Beekeeping > Pests and Diseases

Sugar roll test on a package

(1/3) > >>

Bakersdozen:
I got a call a week and a half ago from a friend who is a supplier.  He had extra packages of bees on the premises and asked if I wanted any.  I took one because I knew the supplier from Texas. He also gave me a discount. I didn't realize that there wasn't a cork in the cage, just sugar candy.  They released her but I didn't know when exactly.  My friend said the bees had been treated for mites before the packages were made up.  I decided to test anyway out of curiosity.  Yup! 0 mites!  Also tested other existing colonies and got 0 mites.  I was feeling pretty good at this point, then I checked some drone brood and discovered a mite moving around with a drone pupae.  :'(

Jen:
DANG! Just when you think it's all good for awhile. The bees are always teaching us not to get too big for our britches.

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: Jen on April 13, 2022, 03:23:22 pm ---DANG! Just when you think it's all good for awhile. The bees are always teaching us not to get too big for our britches.

--- End quote ---

They certainly keep me humble.
Another windfall last night.  I got a call from another beekeeping friend who works for UPS.  It seems that one of the major beekeeping suppliers was shipping packages with UPS and a package was damaged in transit.  Bees were flying everywhere and UPS would just let the insurance claim take care of the whole delivery. They called my friend, she picked them up so she was looking for homes for them.  I took 2 of them.  She had a lot more and they found a good home. It's just above freezing out there, but I got to get these packages in a hive PRONTO.  They have been in there for quite a while.  I am just going to remove some frames, place in the queen cage on the frames, dump a few bees on her, and set the package down in there for an in hive installation.

Jen:
Great job! Now Don't Forget That You Took Those Frames Out! I'm famous for this...

Bakersdozen:

--- Quote from: Jen on April 14, 2022, 04:06:52 pm ---Great job! Now Don't Forget That You Took Those Frames Out! I'm famous for this...

--- End quote ---
Don't you just hate it when that happens?  :D
Those feeder cans were bone dry.  My friend recommended spraying them with sugar water when she brought them over and I am sure glad I did.  Those bees had been in that box for a long time and were drawing wax on the cans.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version