Beekeeping > Products Of The Hive

Pine cone firestarters

(1/1)

Bakersdozen:
Here's a last minute gift idea.

I make pinecone fire starters. for a neighbor, to give as a Christmas gift.  This year I thought I would dye some of the pinecones red.  It's something I saw online.
Here's how I did it:
Pick up pinecones and wash them.  I'm not sure this step was necessary, but I did it.  Let dry.

In a large pot or container mix 2 quarts of warm water, 1/4 cup vinegar, and 1 ounce red food coloring.  Submerge your pinecones in the liquid overnight.

Remove pinecones from liquid and allow to dry thoroughly.  To speed the drying process up I put them in the oven, on the warm setting, for a few hours.

When dried, tie some candle wicking to each pinecone.  Prepare the beeswax.  I used wax that had been only lightly filtered.  You could also use sludgy wax for this project too.
Using the wick as a handle, dip your pinecones in the melted wax.  I like to make sure the wick that is wrapped around the pinecone is covered in wax so that I am sure it won't slip off.  Allow to dry and they are ready to use.

The15thMember:
Those are great!  They'd make good stocking stuffers. 

Jen:
These are just pretty  ;) I like the beeswax on them.

These are what I buy from a mom here in town. Parifin, soy wax, wood chips. I get 50 for $30. I cut them in half because they start the fire just as well. I have offered beeswax but she chooses her own recipe. She says people buy them for their grills and camping fires, people keep them stored in their RV's.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version