Beekeeping > Do-It-Yourself Plans and Prints

Making My Own Equipment WITHOUT the Proper Tools

(1/2) > >>

The15thMember:

--- Quote ---The15thMember [22|Apr 12:33 pm]: I know! I suddenly have almost double the amount of hives I had a month ago. I've only got one bottom board left!
Zweefer [30|Apr 12:18 am]: DIY corner of the forum will have you back up and running in no time ;D
The15thMember [30|Apr 01:35 pm]: :D That's what happened the last time I had one more swarm than bottom board. My sister was like, "I'll slap something together for you!"

--- End quote ---
Well @Zweefer , you were right.  :-\   

So I'm having a little bit of an equipment shortage, since I've caught several swarms, and my Dad, who has only slightly more skill than me (and I have absolutely none) in building, is wondering if we could make some boxes.  He's got some ideas for slapping some together, which is all I really need at this juncture, just a couple supers that will hold together well enough for a flow. 

Obviously building just a box of some sort isn't too difficult, the troublesome part of the bee box is the frame rest, and we don't have the necessary tools to make a cut like that.  My Dad is wondering if we could construct the front and back panels of the box instead by taking a thin piece of wood and gluing/nailing another piece of wood to it to create the notch of the frame rest.  My biggest concern about this idea is warping.  Are these two pieces just destined to separate due to the difference in temperature and humidity between the inside and outside of the hive?   

Jen:
Hi 15th, ya know? I don't have a single problem with wooden ware that has been slapped together. The bees don't care if it not square ~

During my mentoring years I saw All Kinds of enginuative boxes and lids and bottom boards that worked just fine. And some hives had no bottom board, just a hole on the side of the box.

This is a real easy temporary idea until you get another bottom board.

iddee:
Reel s Bee Supply 200 Bee Gum Dr. Marlon, N.C. 28752
828-738-3017 Harlan 828-738-4636 Anthony 828-317-1526
myronreel@yahoo.com

Check with these guys for unassembled boxes. Also ask about seconds. They are great people and eagar to help. They should be fairly close to you.

Zweefer:
@The15thMember :
as iddee said buying is best, but if you are short of funds, or absolutely can't wait for shipping, anything will do in a pinch.  The problem with what you are proposing is that the wood will be kept out in the elements, so unless you are taking time to properly seal it via coats of paint, or whatever method you use it will most likely warp over time.  teh condensation from inside will probably do the same thing over time.  if this is truly an emergency stop gap. I would think you'll be fine - long term use, I personally doubt wit would be effective.
also, my other concern would be when the frames are propolitized to the rails... being two different boards, i would worry about separation or breaking...

Bakersdozen:
Slapped together wooden ware should be a temporary solution in my opinion.  Boxes need to line up properly if you are looking for a solution to last longer.  I have a brood box that isn't square and I cuss it every time I have to use it.  Yes, I am the one that put that brood box together.  :-[  And no, I haven't tried to take it apart and reassemble it.  It keeps getting lost in the shuffle of equipment.

Anyway, 15th, there are beekeepers that would like to have your problem of more swarm catches than equipment. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version