Sustainable Living > Farm Livestock

when to stop milking a goat

(1/7) > >>

addame:
I have a goat that is pregnant for about 4 months.
I stoped milking her but there is still milk. Do I have to continue to milk her or not?
Will the milk left make here sick?

By the way, I applied the following strategy before stoping milking her: for one week I milked her once a day for another week I milked her once for each two days than three days and I then stoped.

Thanks

iddee:
Just watch her close. If you start to feel knots in her teats, milk her. If they remain soft, all is well. Mastitis is the only problem I know of that will come from not milking.

LazyBkpr:

--- Quote from: iddee on April 09, 2014, 01:38:46 pm ---Just watch her close. If you start to feel knots in her teats, milk her. If they remain soft, all is well. Mastitis is the only problem I know of that will come from not milking.

--- End quote ---

Not sure about goats....   with a cow she will complain a lot when her udder is tight.  Tapering off is the best way, as it seems you have done, though we used to do it over a little longer time frame. we still milked every day, but didn't milk as MUCH each day. Enough to relieve the pressure only.

addame:
Thank you @iddee and @LazyBkpr for your advices! 
They are a precious help for me ... and for my goat too :-)

blueblood:
I'm glad you received some good answers.  I was gonna say when the goat udders, "stttttttop."   :laugh:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version