Author Topic: Native bee presentation  (Read 7598 times)

Offline Chip Euliss

Native bee presentation
« on: December 01, 2015, 09:15:54 pm »
Don't know if any of you are close, but I'm finishing up my last student next week in California.  He studied native pollinators in North Dakota and he is my M.S. student at Humboldt State University (HSU; Arcata, CA).  He's also my last; I had 2 students when I retired and just finished a PhD student (Oklahoma State) this summer and my student (I'm his major professor, poor devil!) at Humboldt is just about done.  I'm a free man after that!!!  His presentation is at 2PM (Pacific) in the wildlife and fisheries building at HSU, December 8th.  If any of you are close and are interested, let me know and I'll get you the room number and other particulars.  His talk (about 45 minutes) is open to the public and it is just before his closed-door defense and final exam with his graduate committee.  His work focused on comparing native pollinators (mostly bees) in native prairie versus restored prairie in eastern North Dakota.  He also looked at diet of various species and the availability of suitable floral sources in the two habitat types.

It be nice to meet some of you if you're able to catch the presentation!

Chip
Chip

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Native bee presentation
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 09:57:42 pm »
If I were anywhere close I wouldn't miss it for the world
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:58:27 pm »
Sure wish I could, but it's a tad bit far for me to drive. Thanks for posting it. I wish you well in your retirement. I'm sure it's well deserved.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 10:04:08 pm »
He's from NC Iddee, near Winston Salem if I remember correctly.  He did his undergrad work at Appalachian (so do I but that was back in the day when dinosaurs ruled the earth!!).
Chip

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 10:15:43 pm »
I'm 35 mile from Winston-Salem. If you get down this way, stop in. Coffee's always on.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 11:13:33 pm »
I'm 35 mile from Winston-Salem. If you get down this way, stop in. Coffee's always on.

Don't be surprised if I don't do that one of these days.  I have a sister in Statesville and other family in Hickory. ;D
Chip

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 06:54:02 am »
Iddee and Chip get his contact information and if he goes back home for a visit you can arrange for him to speak at your beekeepers meeting. It would be very interesting to hear.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 10:58:56 am »
Iddee and Chip get his contact information and if he goes back home for a visit you can arrange for him to speak at your beekeepers meeting. It would be very interesting to hear.

That would work probably if there's interest in NC.  He's my student so I'll ask him when he will be home and get the contact info.  Don't know when he plans to get home but the Christmas is just around the corner. Let me know Iddee.
Chip

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:12:15 am »
The subject sounds very interesting.  I would watch his talk if it showed up on youtube...  :-)

Congratulations on your retirement!  It's a new world after retirement.  :-D
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:12:45 am by Lburou »
Lee_Burough

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 11:44:16 am »
There is definitely an interest. Mason bees are well thought of around here, and I'm sure all 4 clubs I attend would be happy to have him speak.
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 05:26:47 pm »
There is definitely an interest. Mason bees are well thought of around here, and I'm sure all 4 clubs I attend would be happy to have him speak.

I'll talk with him next week and get back with you.
Chip

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 06:59:58 pm »
Looks like we've had enough interest from the Dakota's and in DC to set up Russ's presentation so it can be viewed remotely.  I'll post the details on how you can view his presentation soon.  It will start at 2PM Pacific and should last 45 minutes or less.
Chip

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 09:08:22 pm »
lookin forward to the post chip!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:54 pm »
Ahhhhhh, Retirement----that's when you start to work at the things you want to do on your own.  If you're doing it right,  you'll be busier than ever---but enjoying it more. 
Chip,  I wish you a long, healthy and productive retirement.

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 08:09:00 pm »
Thanks efmesch and so very true.  I've been retired for nearly 2 years but I can't say I'm very good at it!  I'm so busy now I don't know how I found time for my day job all those years.  Working Russ into my schedule to finish his thesis took time and it came at a busy time (that's the way it usually works but I'm his major professor so that's my job!), plus getting the bees medicated, shipped and trying to fit in some time for some hunting trips with my son, etc.  Our trip to the Galapagos was great and it made me take a hard look at my schedule so it better fits our (my wife and I) expectations for retirement.  We plan to sell a semi-load of bees next fall and cut the operation back to 250 hives or so.  I have a friend who will share a semi haul to California so I can keep doing what I am now but on a smaller scale.  Yippee!  We only got to visit about half the islands in the Galapagos and we want to go back and see the other half while we're still fairly fit.
Chip

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 12:50:35 am »
We're a little late getting the presentation web-ready but we should be all set.  Everyone is welcome to attend, either in-person or on the web.  Directions for remote access are:

Please register for Assessment of ND Pollinators - R. Bryant Thesis Defense on Dec 9, 2015 2:00 PM PST at:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/4906213668778511362

Pollinators are critical for the proper functioning of natural ecosystems and many agricultural crops. Despite their importance, there is little information available to enhance restoration efforts or manage native habitats to benefit pollinators. In order to address this need, I evaluated the abundance and richness of the native pollinator community and identified important pollen floral sources on native prairie grasslands and restored prairie grasslands in Eastern North Dakota.

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Brought to you by GoToWebinar®
Webinars Made Easy®
Chip

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 12:54:15 am »
Please note that the time is listed as 2PM.  That's as soon as you can register; the talk doesn't start until 3:00 PM PST.

Chip
Chip

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 06:31:37 am »
 Thanks I am going to try to be there to here it, real easy to register.

Ken