Author Topic: Alaska Bee Keeping  (Read 79474 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2017, 12:55:25 pm »
Jeff, those white eyes are actually a genetic mutation.  Read about it here & here.
Lee_Burough
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, yukonjeff

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2017, 01:41:10 pm »
 Thanks ..Very interesting. So they are born blind. that's amazing that they take care and feed them ,rather than drag them out. Shows compassion? or they just don't know they are blind perhaps.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2017, 05:42:59 pm »
That drone doesn't look very old and if it was already on the hive entrance it was the workers that left him there.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: yukonjeff

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2017, 01:38:10 pm »
Your right, it does look like it just hatched.  Also the nuc was hauling out chilled brood( after they got stronger) like you said. I will remember to put a shake or two of bees with any splits from now on.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2017, 01:54:37 pm »
It's good to have you back Apis!   :yes:
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:23 pm »
jeff, lee is right on, the drone is blind and it is genetic. i haven't seen this in my russian hives but have seen the white eyed drones in other races. great photo you took of that drone and great info from lee.
at some point they will perish because they can't see to feed themselves or will perish because of flow stoppage/dearth and they will be drug out and not allowed back in.  it would be interesting to know if the workers, like apis mentioned drug him out and left him there.....meaning the bees recognize an abnormality?  similiar to hygenics?  don't know! maybe apis does?

btw, all your photos are awesome and i sure enjoy your pictures and posts! 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2017, 11:32:11 pm »
Why bring me back into the discussion! I don't know, I just don't think he at his age wondered out side the hive on his own. But He is Blind so anything is possible.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2017, 12:29:27 am »
............... :D

apis thanks! 
Forum Sponsor

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2017, 01:00:59 pm »
Welcome back  ;)

Things are good in Alaska, my bees stopped building in the supers when I added a deep under, I didn't put any combs to get them started moving up, so they quit and went back to packing the brood chamber :no:

So I went back in and moved two up and they are back to building comb and filling both super and 3 rd deep.

So I really don't want to have three deeps of bees, they are backfilling the two combs I put up so I am hoping they will just store honey in that one, what do you all think will it get laid with brood and become part of the nest or will they backfill it with honey by fall and move down ?

My bear protection for now. still working on the fence

Fireweed honey  I hope I get to taste it this year.

I waste way too much time on that stump watching bees.

Offline gibb

« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2017, 03:59:51 pm »
Jeff why the extra brood box why not just the honey super on top of the 2 brood boxes?

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2017, 04:19:33 am »
Jim, they had the super half full in a week. we are in a heavy flow and good weather, they packed the two brood boxes and drawing and filling fast, so I hoped to take advantage and get them to draw the deep as well to slow them down. anything to keep them from backfilling the brood nest completely.

I might add a super of medium foundationless here soon and see if they can make comb honey. I will check tomorrow and see how they are coming along.

I am now thinking I might leave it on and run three deeps for overwintering, will be mostly honey I imaging.

Offline gibb

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2017, 07:14:23 am »
Jeff, this year I have learnt that drawn out comb is worth it weigh in gold. It rains here this year 4 out of 7 days a week. The swarming had me running flat out and without drawn comb sets the bees back.
Always next year.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2017, 10:58:51 am »
Jim, they had the super half full in a week. we are in a heavy flow and good weather, they packed the two brood boxes and drawing and filling fast, so I hoped to take advantage and get them to draw the deep as well to slow them down. anything to keep them from backfilling the brood nest completely...
Your honey flow is what we all dream about as beekeepers Jeff!  Rarely, for me, has it worked out like that because I've never lived in an area capable of that kind of production, I've lived in areas that are comparatively dry. 

When you are in those heavy flow conditions, keep plenty of extra supers on the bees.  The extra space helps them process the nectar into honey faster and you end up with more honey than they would make with less working/processing space.    If they don't need the extra space, they won't draw the combs out...if they need space, they'll draw the combs.  Best to have the foundation available just in case.

Personally, I do not go foundationless except for the occasional single frame, in a pinch. If you go foundationless, mix every other frame with capped honey to insure the frames are drawn correctly, otherwise you can get a big mess of chaotic combs.  JMO   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2017, 04:33:13 am »
Jim I started this spring with two packages and only 6 drawn comb, we had a beautiful spring and summer here, stays between 45-65 F and these two did good. I believe painting the hives black had a positive solar effect and increased fly days.

I  have been inserting two empty undrawn frames to open up the brood nest about every time I go in once a week. It has kept my swarming at bay so far.

Now I am moving honey frames up to the third box and replacing undrawn frames below. I believe the third box will help with room to manipulate frames a lot better to control swarming too.

Lee I was just going to try set a medium super of foundationless on for cut comb honey, and watch it close and if they mess it up ,or make one big block, I will sit down with a spoon and invite everyone over for honey day. :)

This time of year as you well know, can turn to  monsoon rains here in western AK, we get storm after storm and can shut the bees down for weeks, so its fingers crossed we have more good weather to take advantage of this awesome flow. But I will keep throwing boxes on as they fill them and try to keep ahead.

The garden.

I like to think my bees had something to do with this.

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #94 on: August 11, 2017, 12:50:35 pm »
Well we did get our fall storms starting so we had two weeks of wet stormy weather right in the middle of the Fireweed flow so that slowed them down some, still wet out and the Fireweed are almost done.

I did get my electric fence up and running ,any tips would be appreciated, I am keeping out brown bears mostly.

I did add a fourth deep last week in hopes they might draw and fill some ,so I can divi the frames up between the Nucs for winter.

We are starting to get our fall colors here, Frost by the end of the month, but we do have long drawn out wet fall, usually freezes for good around  late Oct/Nov.

I am thinking of wintering in three deeps, I would like some honey, but I don't want to buy bees again next year so see what they end up with at the end of the month and see if I can rob any,or feed. Nothing much was capped yet anyway.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2017, 02:06:44 pm »
The fireweed still has some bloom remaining, you could have a few more good weeks of nectar flow.  I think you have done well this summer Jeff.   :)
Lee_Burough

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2017, 03:17:52 pm »
Thanks Lee. I didn't kill them all yet anyway. :-[

Could get another two weeks of bloom on the Fireweed but the storms will most likely shut them down. We have another one brewing now.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2017, 08:38:06 pm »
More wires and closer to the ground the first wire 8" off the ground then a grounded wire then a hot next another ground followed by a hot top wire. Each wire 8 inches apart.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2017, 09:53:23 pm »
i will chime in with apis on the fencing jeff, we have black bears so like apis said more wires, 8 inches apart from the ground up.  what unit are you using and how many volts?

btw, awesome pictures and sure enjoying your thread jeff!
Forum Sponsor

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2017, 01:50:09 am »
Thanks guys, looks like I will have to order in more wire. Its a Zareba 10,000 v  I believe.