Author Topic: Trap-out  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Trap-out
« on: July 07, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
Started this one a couple of weeks ago. Fairly easy on the initial set up, I used wire to "hang" the nuc box in place. The owner watched the swarm move in and I was set up a couple of days later so not much chance of a lot of brood being in there. It's only been 2 weeks and I haven't seen any bees coming out of the cone for days now. I installed a frame of open brood so I am guessing they have a queen in there at this point.
The only issue I had with this one was the fact the house was like Swiss cheese, it took me 2 days and 3 trips just to plug up all the entrances the bees seemed to find. I suppose I could remove it now (owner would be happy), but am inclined to wait for the queen to mate? Thoughts?

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Some Day

Re: Trap-out
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:44:28 am »
If it was indeed a swarm that moved into the nuc trap box, I would think that the old queen would be in the box from day one and not a virgin queen.  Just a guess on my part.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 01:47:22 pm »
Sorry, maybe I confused things. The swarm had moved into the eave return of the house and the trap-out box wasn't put up for a couple of days after that. They were in the roof.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 01:48:32 pm »
Have you looked into the nuc box with little to no comb and the bees exiting and not able to return and with little brood to anchor them in the wall cavity the queen might have exited with the bees and moved into the nuc box.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:21:18 pm »
I haven't looked since I set it up, been busy, but that was not something that crossed my mind. I was always under the impression that those queens remained and probably died. I will check it out over the next couple of days. :yes:
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:21:50 pm »
In the case of the bees being trapped out the colony may not have time to establish itself and it is like when a swarm absconds from a hive.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.