Author Topic: Ugh! August swarm  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Ugh! August swarm
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:54:27 pm »
I went out to FINALLY take down a swarm trap I have had up since spring.  Sure enough, there are a recently moved in colony.  Ugh!  It's August.  I don't think they have a chance to over winter.  Perhaps I can combine them with another colony? 

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: Ugh! August swarm
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:17 pm »
I just did that with a swarm we retrieved about two months ago.  We didn't get the queen and i couldn't get them to make a queen.  Finally gave up and did a paper combine.  Might be a wise move for you too.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:17:57 pm »
 :yes: :yes: :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:13:54 pm »
I getting concerned about a couple of my hives getting crowded but have been so busy with grandchildren...
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 07:46:51 pm »
I am not saying that we can't get swarms this late but it is rarer. The bees know the days are getting shorter and they are already back filling some of the brood nest and cutting back the queen on her brood laying. Even at this time of year I would give a nuc all the room she needs to lay in. They still have another month before they are serious emerging the winter bees. I have brought through many 4 frame nucs where I am and weather here is a little colder but not much, and the duration of winter is about the same. I just leave them outside till the first real cold day in January and then take them and put them on the cool basement floor in a corner with no light except for a red light bulb. and leave them till the first day in Feb or March when the temp goes above 50 deg F. Early spring colony death is most times caused by the bees not moving with the vanishing food supply because they stay with the brood and try to keep it warm. putting them in a warmer dark environment allows them to move in the nuc It also keeps them from starting early brood rearing until the outside temperature is warmer and better for brood rearing.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 10:20:31 am »
Wow! apis.  That is dedication.  I don't have the area to do that.
I will get the swarm lure box down tomorrow morning and see what I have.  I will definitely start feeding them as we are in a dearth.  The brood break should be good for mite control in this case.  It's time to treat the other colonies.