Author Topic: Sugar Prices  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Dunkel

Sugar Prices
« on: January 28, 2018, 04:02:35 pm »
I try to keep up with the sugar prices around.  Last fall I fed almost all sugar after the Dadant branch closed at a bad time for restructuring and I couldn't get syrup.  I was looking the other day and found that Walmart in one store was still 8 something for a 25 lb bag.  The prices differ so much from one store to another.  The thing that surprised me was the 25lb bag was available for 10.48 shipped sitting on my porch.  Could only get six at a time though.  I think that worked out to 42 cents a pound.  The store was 35 and 36 per if in 25lb or 10lb.
 Trying to be nice to the wife the loaded carts pull her down the parking lot :D Her Camary has to have the tires inflated to make the sensors go out after unloading 900 lbs or more apparently.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
Re: Sugar Prices
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 04:48:38 pm »
I don't know about today's price, but I have been buying 25lb bags of sugar from Walmart for most of this summer at $7.58 +2% sales tax/bag.  I have loaded up for myself, bought 4 bags for our club's VP, and the Guilford Beekeepers had me buy 20 bags to be used as part of our fundraising prize drawings at our monthly meetings.  When I was buying I checked the "free" delivery price in our area.  It was more than double what I was paying for making the 1 1/2 mile drive and picking it up myself.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:17:40 pm »
The last few times I have been to Aldi's it has been about .42 cents a pound.  That is 4 # bags.  Aldi's price fluctuates and usually around the holidays it dips down.
My beekeeping friend and I are planning to make a trip, after the 1st of February, to a wholesale place called Restaurant Depot.  You have to have a tax ID to get in, which she does.  She is planning on buying sugar, in bulk, and creamed honey tubs among other things.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
It was double for me also until recently, well since the fall.  It's about forty five minutes each way to the nearest for me.  Hate getting there and they only have a few.  The oldest is in college there so the wife is bad to visit on weekends he's working.  The last one starts there this fall.  I did notice the 10 lbs said cane sugar. The one's in the fall didn't and had a slight tint when mixed but they took it like it was candy :D 

Yes b13 I'm always looking for cheaper sugar.  I think there is something like that in Lexington, let me know how it goes. I could have never imagined buying more than a ton of the stuff.

Just thought I'd pass the information along. Hope it helps someone.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 01:33:24 pm »
if it doesn't say cane sugar it is usually from beets. the bees don't care. i'm still buying sugar from a processing plant. if it hits the floor I get it really cheap. I looked at a restaurant supply house & they actually wanted more than Costco or aldis. you might check with any bulk food or large commercial bakeries in your area. you might find a source for spilled sugar or damaged packages.