Author Topic: Spring dreams  (Read 1180 times)

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Spring dreams
« on: February 04, 2018, 12:04:22 am »
I'm trying to put together plans for the spring. I've made a friend who is about 3 hours away and he will have nucs for sale in the spring. His bees are Pol Line Italians. He reports really good success with this line being resistant to mites and productive.

Does anyone have any experience with this strain of bees?

Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Spring dreams
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 01:53:26 pm »
Neill,
I think CBT has ?
Can remember if he said pol-line or poly- line. Not sure if they're the same.  Hopefully he'll chime in.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 10:01:24 pm »
In 2016, some friends and I bought a dozen 'Pol Line' queens with Russian drone influence.  They were about average for honey production and defensiveness.  One of those hives got EFB, but is okay now.  I didn't see much mite waste in the cells of the brood nest. 

I bought a VPQueens Pol Line breeder queen in 2013.   Queens from her have been good against mites and very good honey producers...No diseases, a bit testy. :)

P.S. In my view, the Varroa Sensitive Hygiene (VSH) bred into the Pol Line at the USDA Bee Lab in Baton Rouge, LA, is a good start in breeding bees that fight the mites...VSH doesn't mean you don't need to treat for mites.  Read research papers on VSH here
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 08:08:40 pm »
Thanks Lee,

I bookmarked that link for further study. Many of those papers I have read and have copies on my computer, but there is no such thing as too much information. :)

I was heartened to hear your personal experience which is what I was looking for.

Again thanks

Neill
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a