Author Topic: Relocating Nucs For 48 Hours?  (Read 1304 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Relocating Nucs For 48 Hours?
« on: February 24, 2018, 03:26:03 pm »
I have 5 hives in my backyard, they wintered well. I have a couple of beek friends that will be making nucs this year. They want to make the nuc and relocate for a couple of days or so, 2 miles out, then bring it back into their own apiary. Problem is, they don't have any other property to set the nucs for a couple days. They live 50 miles south of me. Could they bring their nucs to my yard for those 2-3 days?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Relocating Nucs For 48 Hours?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 03:39:51 pm »
If they want to move the nucs out and back to get the bees to orient to their new home (the nuc) they could just place some branches (evergreen works well) in front of the entrance to get the bees to re-orient.  If the beeks just want to move hives, and you're okay with it, sure they can move them to your place.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 06:21:30 pm »
jen............

depends on your neighbors and how many nucs you want in your backyard?!.............. :D

when i make a nuc it gets moved at least 3 miles in wisconsin (other generous landowners paid with honey), or because i have a place in wisconnie and a place in mn, the bees sometimes get moved from wisconnie to mn. until they build up and are strong enough to put in a 10 deep. i do so because i have bigger hives in wisconsin. i don't want to lose the nuc cuz the bigger or well established hives tend to cause havoc on my nucs. some of your beek friends might not have this challenge.

you can place them in your yard, they will reorient, but just thoughts, if moved to your place for a minimum of 3 days and move back ~  moving bees does set them back. i think i would be inclined to give them a little more time than 3 days, that's just me.  we all have challenges to deal with. we do the best we can. nucs are so young that i like to see them build up and be able to defend themselves, and keep an eye on the queen.  again that's just me and what i was taught.  not saying it won't work. just my thoughts jen and not trying to discourage you.

good luck, keep us posted! and good on you for helping other beeks out!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »
I always keep nucs in the same yard as I make the split. Ted is spot on with placing a branch in front of hive to re orientate.  Look up Walk away splits.   If I have a nuc and it ends up light on bees I swap positions with it and a strong hive in the middle of the afternoon to balance out bees or add a frame of bees which is even easier
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 10:16:34 pm »
Or a robber screen works instead of a branch.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 11:14:12 pm »
A robbing screen... Well that is a good idea too!
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:51:55 pm »
if you leave a nuc or split in the same yard don't the foragers go back to their original hive leaving just the nurse bees?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 12:01:49 pm »
yes rober, this is one reason why i don't leave them in the same yard. some beeks do. also, i don't have the luxury to switch big hives around to place a nuc where a big hive sits.  also, just for peace of mind, i move them. too many problems in the past with the bigger hives robbing the nuc out, or the queen winding up dead.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor