Author Topic: Hello from Northern Indiana  (Read 12381 times)

Offline Green bee

Re: Hello from Northern Indiana
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 09:49:15 pm »
Hi rt1068 , I to am new at beekeeping . In fact I don't even have any bees yet. There is a lot of nice folk here that are more than willing to help , so welcome aboard . Have you read any good books yet? If not I highly recommend (First Lessons in Beekeeping) by Keith Deleplane. He also has lots of videos on YouTube that are very informative.  :welcome:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein
The following users thanked this post: rt1068

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 10:29:35 pm »
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rt1068

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 05:44:07 pm »
Hi rt1068 , I to am new at beekeeping . In fact I don't even have any bees yet. There is a lot of nice folk here that are more than willing to help , so welcome aboard . Have you read any good books yet? If not I highly recommend (First Lessons in Beekeeping) by Keith Deleplane. He also has lots of videos on YouTube that are very informative.  :welcome:

So far, I have only read Beekeeping for Dummies. As I said, I am very new to all of this and I certainly fit the criteria of a dummy, so I thought that would be a good place to start.  :laugh:

Thanks for your suggestion, I will definitely check it out.

Offline rt1068

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2016, 05:44:56 pm »
There's a good series of his videos here.

http://www.worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php/topic,5722.0.html

Thank you so much. Good stuff, very informative!

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2016, 01:26:51 am »
Welcome to the forum RT.  Anyone smart enough to decide to learn about beekeeping before starting, is beyond the "Dummy" category.  When I first started with bees, (before "Beekeeping for Dummies" existed), I read through everything I could lay my hands on.  Those same books, and many more, are still my good "friends" over 40 years later. No forums in those days either.  Gosh!  that's pre-history.
We're glad you found your way here and will be happy to be part of your progress with bees.
 :welcome:

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2016, 03:22:27 am »
I started the opposite way from Efmesch. I did it on a spur of a moment. Was driving down the road by Perry's uncle Leos house, Honey house and he was out in the yard so stopped and asked what it took to get a hive of bees? He let me know that his son Ernie would be coming thru with another load of package bees the following week. Showed me what I would need Bottom board, Super, Frames, Inner cover, Top cover, Feed pail, Sold me 20 sheets of foundation, gave me enough wire to cross wire the frames, and told me the bees would be there next week to pick up. 5 days. He gave me a top, bottom, and end bar, for templates to take with me so I could machine and manufacture the frames. 5 days later I went back to pick up a package. He had an extra that hadn't been picked up so I went home with 2. Installed the 2 packages with out protective gear and no smoker. built a smoker and an extractor the first year. My dads mom, as well as my wifes grand father on her dads side kept bees. They were not much help as all my dad could remember was knocking the hive over with the one wheel of the rake and then getting the wheel on the other side hooked behind the gate post when using the drop rake with a team of horses. And my wifes father was not much more help as he only remembers having to go out and set the hives back up after being knocked over by a cow
Learned by observing what was happening in the hives. never read a book till 1/2 way through the 2nd year. Didn't know about a local bee club until the spring of the 5th year. Mind you I have always been a just do it and figure it out as you go along. type of person.
I do believe it is possible to get to many theories and ways to do it and it can make the whole process more challenging and confusing than it needs to be. It is good to have a mentor in your area that has good success with his bees and keep your bees the way he keeps his. Once you learn how to keep bees one way then you can experiment with other systems and techniques to develop your own way of beekeeping.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 03:54:11 am »
Any way you go at it, be sure to follow advice given by apisbee.. . His words are worth gold.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 06:46:39 am »
Any way you go at it, be sure to follow advice given by apisbee.. . His words are worth gold.

:yes: :yes: :yes:
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2016, 10:44:44 am »
Welcome Rick, looking a bit like riverrat would be alright, But looking a bit like perry with a beard would be scary. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

Offline rt1068

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2016, 11:56:46 am »
Welcome Rick, looking a bit like riverrat would be alright, But looking a bit like perry with a beard would be scary. :laugh: :laugh: Jack

I'm pretty sure I am just going to stay out of that debate.  ;D

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2016, 04:15:13 pm »
Jack is just being Jack  :laugh:
Jack goes back a ways, a looooooooooooooooooong ways. He used to drink his shine out of a mason jar, but realized he liked drinking from a plastic cup better, figured it added a little something extra. ;)

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2016, 04:26:47 pm »
Hey where did you find my sixth grade graduation picture  ??? Jack  :laugh:

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2016, 04:28:45 pm »
And he used clay cups before they invented glass.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2016, 04:36:02 pm »
And he used clay cups before they invented glass.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2016, 02:55:10 pm »

Wise move,  It looks like you're not a dummy in human relations too, not only in preparations for beekeeping.  :yes:

Offline rt1068

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2016, 08:00:25 pm »

Wise move,  It looks like you're not a dummy in human relations too, not only in preparations for beekeeping.  :yes:

I have learned a few things along the way.  :laugh:

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2016, 09:30:43 pm »
Congratulations you have found it. The place you can have many thoughts pondered, questions turned inside out and get options from a questionable group of wild insect raising folks called bee keepers. welcome

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2016, 09:39:50 pm »
Just for you Jack.  :D

Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2016, 10:50:15 pm »
rt1068, i rest my case :yes: That's Scary Perry :o and for some unknown reason he has threaten to cross the border and beat me up ??? Jack  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline rt1068

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2016, 07:05:44 pm »
On a non beard related note :D, I just heard from the local beekeepers association and I am planning on attending their meeting coming up next Saturday. I am looking forward to it.