Author Topic: Suddenly Allergic?  (Read 1214 times)

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
Suddenly Allergic?
« on: March 14, 2018, 12:05:57 pm »
Does anyone here have experience with developing an allergy to honey bee stings? or just becoming suddenly allergic to everything?

I'm curious because I recently had an allergic reaction to something, I'm not sure what, but I was itching from head to toe, scratched skin instantly became inflamed, eyelids swelled up -- all kinds of fun stuff.  It subsided after a few days and I've been taking Benadryl (diphenhydramine) once or twice a day since just to keep the itch under control.

This allergic reaction might not be related to my bees.  I get stung more often than I care to admit, even in the winter, so I thought I'd have a fairly strong immunity built up by now.

Like I said, it might not have anything to do with bees, but I know beekeepers and family members of beekeepers can develop severe allergies under certain circumstances.  I'm trying to figure out if I'm a candidate, if there are specific conditions that make allergic reactions more likely to happen.
- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Suddenly Allergic?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 12:50:55 pm »
Mud,
Allergic reactions to bee stings can occur at any time to even the most seasoned beekeeper.  There are varying reactions from no reaction to aphalactic  shock.  Riverbee is a resident "expert" on suddenly becoming severely allergic to bee stings.  Let's hope she chimes in on this thread. 
I understand that family members can become allergic even though they are never near a hive.
Last fall I had an allergic reaction to something non-bee related.  Long story short...I was exposed to something in the garage and was unable to ventilate the garage while I was working.  Rash, hives, etc. for weeks.
All I think to offer is to drink lots of water and try to detox.  Good luck.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 06:36:11 pm »
If all else fails, a trip to the Doc and perhaps some tests just to be sure.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 02:46:57 pm »
I saw a doctor.  He said it could be an allergic reaction to anything.  Sometimes people have flare ups and then it clears up after a few weeks or a few months.  He told me to keep taking Benadryl and go to a hospital if I can't breathe.

I haven't been stung by a bee since I had the allergic reaction (to whatever).  I'm curious to see what happens the next time I get stung.

I always have an Epipen nearby.  The next month or two should be interesting.

- Phillip
- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 07:07:24 pm »
Good to hear you saw a doctor.  In addition to the epipen, perhaps you should have someone with you work your hives.  At least let someone know where you are at the first few trips to the apiary.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 10:57:36 am »
phillip,

our immune system is so complex.  without getting technical, the antibodies work to fight off infection and sometimes the antibodies 'get confused'. either way a reaction of some sort occurs.  it is good you sought medical attention.  if you are concerned about a reaction to being stung, i would get tested for it.  (allergist or immunolgist).

here is an article on allergic reactions and how allergies work:
How Allergies Work

this is a post on allergic reactions to stings:
Riverbee's Journey; Allergy to Insect Stings-Reactions

i am allergic not only to honey bee stings, but to wasps, yellow jackets and hornets. i have been through immunotherapy injections.
Riverbee's Journey

any life threatening reaction to a sting will occur within minutes of being stung.

hopefully you had a reaction to something that may resolve itself. keep us posted!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor