Author Topic: Border question  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Border question
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:03:09 am »
I wonder.  ???
When some of these supply companies offer free shipping anywhere in the lower 48 states, there is a border crossing right at Calais, Maine, and St Stephen, New Brunswick. I wonder if there are places that could hold stuff on the American side of the border until I got there to pick it up? St Stephens is a day trip for me, but it could end up being a cost savings worth the trip if the order was right.
Not using a shipping company, there shouldn't be any brokerage fees would there?
Declaring it at the border isn't a problem, if it's American made, under  NAFTA there is no duty?
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Border question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:15:29 am »
I would go into the town, find any little mom and pop store, hardware, convenience, even a repair shop. Go in, explain to the owner, and ask him if he would accept them for me. I'm betting 4 of the first 5 would say yes. If I could find something I could use, I would make a purchase first.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 08:23:53 am »
Iddee suggestion is very practical, since you have a very charming personality. ;D

A question to ask when inquiring about free delivery is whether they will ship to a post office box or do you need a street address?  The UPS store has all the conveniences you are looking for, I think.  With a box rental they offer you a street address.  You can call in advance to see if your packages have arrived.  The UPS store will hold them for you until you can pick up.  I copied this from their web site:

Your mailing address will be the address of The UPS Store location, with either PMB (private mailbox) or the pound symbol (#) designating your individual box. Instead of “The UPS Store,” your name appears first.

Example:
Joe Smith
PMB XXX or # XXX
12345 Somewhere Street
Some City, Some State Some ZIP

According to the UPS store finder, the closest location to you is Augusta, Maine.  I don't know the terms of a box rental, however.  So, this is only a suggestion.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 09:06:56 am »
Some excellent answers to this point.  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 10:32:21 am »
Perry, here is the link to the receiving depot I use in Sault ste. Marie Michigan   http://www.weirfurniturecenter.com/package-freight.php

There are no broker fees when you go back through Canadian Customs; you are your own broker. You have to pay the canadian GST HST but the Minnesota tax is not applied. This is the setup if you declare non commercial use. There is another arrangement you have to make if you declare commercial or product for resale. I have not officially inquired about how involved that is but was led to believe not too onerous. 

I bet if you googled a bit you would find a similar business to Weirs.
Frank

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 01:08:24 pm »
I ordered a tractor part back in the summer, only junk yard that had the piece was in Canada. Weighed 85 pounds and cost $30 to get it across the border.

don't know what that is based on, weight of package, cost of product or what.
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2013, 05:00:56 pm »
Hey Crofter. I did some research and you are right, there seems to be spots on almost every border-town that accepts parcels and such for Canadian shoppers.
http://shippingtocalais.com/
I sent them an email asking about cost (dollars per pound or piece?) and am waiting on a response.
Forum Supporter