Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Alaska Bee Keeping
« Last post by Perry on Today at 06:31:33 pm »

General Beekeeping / Re: Relocating a hive
« Last post by Les on Today at 06:24:17 pm »
We’d be disoriented too if someone picked up our home and moved it to another neighborhood.  Once the black locust finishes blooming here, I will be moving a hive to a friend’s yard.  I appreciate your tale and what we might experience. Good luck with that hive!
General Beekeeping / Re: honey tank?
« Last post by Perry on Today at 03:06:20 pm »
it would so! get it close to the door turn it on its side and roll it through the door.
it has an stir paddle and the cooling compressor is attached to the tank so it is one zelf contained unit. No one else was interested in it so I got it for $10.00 Would be a nice tank for making creamed honey. I dont have a use for it, Might let my cousin use it to hydra cool his cherries

Are you kidding me?  :o :o :o
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 02:27:30 pm »
years ago there was issues with package air shipping from New Zealand. so they switched to using 4 ft long, 4" dynamiter tubes.
« Last post by apisbees on Today at 02:19:03 pm »
Are or Can you get queens shipped through the post office?
General Beekeeping / Re: Relocating a hive
« Last post by Jen on Today at 10:52:33 am »
Good story Baker, completely agree with every beekeeping day is a learning experience. Every time I lift a lid I don't know what I'm going to find. This season has been a real head scratcher for me.
General Beekeeping / Re: coating plastic foundation
« Last post by rober on Today at 09:31:29 am »
Lazy- sent you a P.M.
Products Of The Hive / Re: Buckwheat Honey
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 08:37:21 am »
I moved a colony where there is a small patch of buckwheat planted.  I don't have any supers on yet.  This will be interesting.  The buckwheat is in bloom now, but the bees were going after the white dutch clover.
General Beekeeping / Relocating a hive
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 08:30:15 am »
Yesterday morning my husband helped me move a hive to a woman's backyard about 30 minutes away.  She was excited to have them in place for pollination and for watching them work.  All went smooth.  We pulled up to her house at 7 a.m.  I had ratcheted down the two brood boxes with two ratchet straps.  I was going to leave the straps in place because there was no rush, but my husband started to remove them.  In the final moments of getting the straps from underneath the hive he lifted the lid slightly.  Out came curious bees, not angry, just disoriented.  We waited a few minutes while talking to the homeowner. 
Before getting home she sent me a picture of how the bees were clustering on the outside.  I reassured her that they were disoriented and it was hot and very humid.  Later she sent me this picture.

We headed back.  This time in my husband's air conditioned car.  My truck doesn't have working air.  One bank thermometer read 100 degrees.

My thoughts were that the queen had ran out the lid when it was slightly opened or she was stuck on top of the inner cover. 
I lifted the lid and there were bees absolutely everywhere, but mostly on the one side and bearding off the bottom board in front.  They were bearding off the lid so when I lifted the lid, clusters of bees fell to the ground.
In the end, I brushed the bees back on to the frames as best as possible.  I had place the inner cover leaning up against the side of the hive.  Lots of bees on that.  I shook and brushed the bees off of that.  I had brought a notched inner cover, so I put that in place.  A quick look at the old inner cover had bees back on it and they were fanning.  She was not there, but I think she had been there and they were still sensing her pheromones.
In the end, the bees were starting to work their way back in.  Fingers crossed that she is in the hive and alive and well.
I received another picture from the homeowner showing the bees were still bearding some off the bottom board and some on the front of the hive.  That picture looked much better.
The homeowner and I commented how my bees were all over the white dutch clover in her yard.  Her buckwheat was in bloom and I forgot to look to see if they were working that.
I will probably receive another picture from her this morning.  ;D
Every beekeeping day is a learning experience  :yes: and an adventure  :D  and sometimes you get to go eat authentic Mexican food afterwards.   :occasion14:
Gardening / Re: Star of Bethlehem HELP!
« Last post by Les on Today at 04:26:55 am »
Every day has been breezy enough that I don’t want to spray for fear of drift.  So for now, I run around my gardens and the woods ripping off the flowers so they at least can’t spread seed by wind.  I am a woman possessed LOL!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10